Fly Fishing Forum banner

HOT new reels!

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mitch 
#1 ·
Man, is that Ross Canyon #5 ever a gorgeous reel. It sits perfectly on a 9wt SWFF set up, plenty of everything you need too (backing, drag, corrosion resistance, STYLE, etc). #6 is a killer Spey reel and would be a good choice for two-handed overhand rods catching on in the surf flyfishing scene. Due to the lightweight I don't think it's too much for single-handed use (although the #5 is the better match).

The new Sage reels are HOT... if you haven't seen them yet definitely check them out. Sealed drag, large arbor, convenient single turn spool removal and aesthetically top shelf. I was anxious to have a peek at them and they far exceeded expectations. The 3500 will be a reel to watch this year.

Also checked out a Waterworks FORCE FS series Spey reel... nothing but hardcore reel there! It's definitely not the same animal as the finesse reels in trout sizes. Patented sealed conical drag is silky smooth and tough enough to stop a train, ultra-large arbor, easy spool exchange and the two-tone satin titanium look spool on a black frame that is a full circumference on the body side unlike the trout models which are small open framed. All business, and definitely up to the task for saltwater big game as well as Spey applications.

Jim Murphy continues to deliver great quality at incredible value, the new Redington reels are hard to beat for price / performance. He had a broad assortment of new machined reels at great prices from tiny trout reels to large arbor 12/13 weights. The Nano series rods are awesome, had a chance to cast one and the loop just seems to form itself coming off that blank.

I did not have a chance to check out the Lamson Velocity, that's on tomorrows checklist. I got about 3 hours at the show today, most of it chattin' with folks so I only ended up buying one item... the inserts for stripping baskets that you can lay out the way you like and screw in with nylon screws. I plan to spill a little more cash tomorrow (shhh! wife's listening
)

See less See more
#2 ·
Juro's Quote:

The new Sage reels are HOT... if you haven't seen them yet definitely check them out. Sealed drag, large arbor, convenient single turn spool removal and aesthetically top shelf. I was anxious to have a peek at them and they far exceeded expectations. The 3500 will be a reel to watch this year.

I've had the 3500 on order for over a month from Sage. There's a two month back order on that model. Don't know why the snafu?

This spring, check out Juro's new striping basket. Those pylon cones from Long Island are the bomb!

#3 ·
Ray -

Good seeing you yesterday, tell your son I appreciated his patience while I yakked with you in the aisle.

There's a request for the manufacturer / brand name from SaltRon in the STRIPPING BASKET thread... I'm going to head out to the truck to get that info and post it for him.

Frankly, I had a deal cookin with a seamstress on the side. Now get your mind out of the gutter Ray...
I mean for cones. The nylon cones used for cores in bulk thread are taller, totally corrosion proof, tapered better, and cheaper than these show cones. I asked her to save every one she emptied and I'll buy them. The problem is, there is no instant gratification with the seamstress approach!

I saw these cones and Ray's testimonial got me to drop the $20. Well worth it because there is no waiting. The cones are indestructible and can be re-used on another rubbermaid dishpan in the unlikely event that one wears out.

#4 ·
Back to reels: I saw the new LOOP... I think it was Dylan who mentioned it a while back so I checked it out.

IMHO - it could be the best marriage of form and function on the market. If a reel can be sexy, this is it - but at the same time it's as tough as the aircraft grade bar stock it's formed out of. The drag is different than the traditional Loop, it's a sealed system like most modern sealed drags today.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and personal preferences apply - but when held side by side with almost any other reel, the new Loop's aesthetics outshine any modern large arbor reels I've seen while still giving a sense of brute strength. Sure it's pricey, but so are skis for skiers and stereos for audio enthusiasts. I'll bet the reel outlasts all those toys as well.

The only issue I would have is the spool exchange. Like many of the world's best reels, the exchange involves loose parts. That's not an issue in most cases - like fishing a tropical flat or spending a fall day greaselining or steelhead... but I find myself needing two basic spools for New England striper fishing that get swapped in the field - a fast sinking line for rip currents and deep holes + a stealthy intermediate for northern flats work. I also need two spools for 3 of 4 seasons of northwest steelhead - a full floating long belly or Spey DTF and a multi-tip system to fish sinktips.

But for this reel... I just might chance the loose arbor screw-cap!

#5 ·
Juro,
I agree with you on the aesthetics and the spool change-out situation of the Loop Evotec LW. The one thing that concerns me with this reel is that the spool felt almost fragile in my hand. Compared to spools from Bauer/Ross/Tibor, I kept thinking that the raised sides of the spool would be more prone to bending/warping.
(I was the guy who passed on the 6nine to you).
Mitch

#6 ·
I had the feeling that was you, reading your reviews over on Jeff's board! Good to finally meet you.

The spool was very light, and vented to within an inch of it's life. I (perhaps foolishly) trust Loop to consider the strength of the materials and design for structural integrity... at least as long as I was blinded by the aesthetics anyway. You're right though it would not be a spool you would dare to abuse. You may have been looking at it more objectively.

If it were not for the swap concerns it would be in one of the top rungs for that dream reel I keep alluding to. If I were a carribean flats angler I wouldn't give it a second thought.

What did you think of the Sage 3500? (3400 being the only ones we could actually see until production catches up). Waterworks makes it as far as anyone will admit.

#7 ·
Mitch-
You mentioned Loomis. I LOVE their rods but dislike their Synroctech series. Overpriced for what you get.

Anyone else out there have any experience with the Syncrotechs?

I have yet to see the new Sage line of reels. If there is any product that the flyfishing industry is flooded by, it is reels. One thing that always make me nervous about Sage, especially since they are contrating out the reels to other manufactures is the question of how long will the reel be around. Sage is discontinue happy which makes it very tough on retailers none the less.
But if Sage is contracting out to Waterworks then I would believe that reels would be sold by Sage for a longer period of time then other reels in the past.

#8 ·
Sparkey,
By professing my feelings of Loomis, I neglected to clarify that by mentioning that I only like their rods.
Their reels have never blown my skirt up.
Ideally, I would like to buy my rods from a company that focuses it's attention just on rods. The same applies to reel companies. Unfortunately, the big companies want their name on all of our gear, from rods to Sage brand lip balm. Maybe that's my dislike of things with the LL Bean or Orvis logos on it. I think this is the beginning of me turning into an old fart who is happy with nothing except for re-runs of Matlock and Murder, She Wrote.
Mitch

#9 ·
These are very good points re: typical re-branding - maybe that's why LL Bean is selling straight like Sage and Tibor now. Sage doesn't make me nervous though - they have been incredible for service since day #1 whenever I needed it. I couldn't say that for everyone though - to your point(s).

Ryan - did you get a chance to look at the ULA FS series monster Spey / saltwater reels yet? I get no sense of frailness there. Wondering what your thoughts are on it.

Mitch - you didn't mention the new Bauer MX series... what are your opinions on that and the M series reels?

#10 ·
I have not gotten the chance to look at the Spey version of the ULA although I would love to sit down and play with it. One of these days I will have to jet down to a shop that carries them because my boss refuses to stock them.

Like I said before there are just way too many reels out there and if I was running the shop where I was working we drop half the lines because they just take up space and do not sell.
I could easily get by just selling Rosses, Waterworks/Lamson, Cortland, Pflueger and Tibor not Abel, Okuma, STH, Tibor, Tioga etc. etc. etc. I have played with them all and I have a couple favorites that are all that I sell unless a customer comes in specifically asking for a certain reel.

#11 ·
I own the Bauer M4 and although it is a great reel, I'm not too satisfied with their customer service. With that in mind, I didn't even look at the MX series at the show. From what I can tell, they had enough complaints of people getting their knuckles knocked while trying to adjust the M series drag star while the fish was running (this is why I'm a big fan of exposed rim reels because I tend to leave the drag at about 4-lbs and adjust with palm pressure).
This is why I'm looking at a new reel, and looking hard at the Loop.
I noticed the absence of Piranah and Old Florida reels that seemed pretty big last year. Come to think of it, this year's show at the Shriner's auditorium was pretty bare compared to last year. I did most of my browsing while Lefty amazed the masses. I think it would be funny to take an aerial shot inside the auditorium during his presentation, then another one 30 minutes after and compare the density of the aisles.
Mitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.