Thoughts on the New Sages? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Swinger of Flies

Thoughts on the New Sages?

Just wondering what the reviews are of the new Sages: Fli and Launch line. Prices are reasonable (FROM SAGE) so I have to wonder. Are these rods pretty sweet sticks? I am going to have to get some back-up rods for a potential backcountry summer in AK.

I am used to fishing my XP and SP (I wish they never did away the SP). Just wondering what the general thoughts are on these new "value" rods. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 08:54 AM

Have not tried out these rods yet. Will test them out at the Marlboro show. I see these rods as competition to Temple Fork . Competition is a good thing. From all of the flyshop owners I have talked to all the major US rod companies are in trouble because of the Imported rods and their low price point. Sage is simply responding to market pressures. Just my .02 .
FishHawk
Old 11-14-2004, 08:56 AM

I have 2 Sages....a TCR 8wt and and an old 5wt (23 years old !). The TCR has already had to have a new tip.....crazy charlies eye hit the rod....at any rate it looks more like marketing....Sage may want to get a piece of the Temple Fork rod market....I used to work in a fly shop.....casted just about every rod Sage, orvis, Winston and temple fork produces.....however I have not cast the new sages....
I am a Temple Fork fan....
Old 11-14-2004, 09:00 AM

Fishhawk.....I guess I was typing too slow....you took the post right out of my keyboard !!! yep, TF is making a great rod , great warranty, and decent price....
I see Orvis is also offering a lower priced rod (no warranty)....is Winston next ?
I would be interested in the thoughts of the shop owners when you return from the show.....perhaps the days of $600 rods is dying ?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:25 AM

Cheap(er) Rods

Good morning,
Just had to get into this one. After busting a St Croix Avid 5wt. in 3 pieces a few seasons back, and no back-up with me at the time (bummer) I decided that a "less expensive" alternate was in order so as not to be in that place again, if you know what I mean!
Of course, chose St Croix's Premier series, and have been very happy since. I am sure its marketing to some extent. I would venture to guess that the majority of flyfishing persons are not out paying 500+ smackers on a regular basis for rods. I know I'm not!
But the scuttle-but is, and I have to agree, Flyfishing is the fastest growing sport right now! To cover that new ground, they have to offer more entry level stuff, hence, marketing again!
But generaly speaking, as a technology advances, the price comes down. And thats a good thing.
Thats a pair of pennies from me....
Deerhawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.