Sunday 11/14 report? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2004, 07:03 AM
resigned

Sunday 11/14 report?

Man it's cold out this morning. Overslept and did not make it out to the beaches before work. Anyone brave the cold today? Let's hear some reports!

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks for keeping the torch lit! I am still hoping to sneak down south for one more outing...
Old 11-14-2004, 08:29 PM
resigned

Ok, so it's now 9pm! The diehards must still be out there knee deep in fish, as no reports have come in as of yet. Did anyone fish today???? Looks like the 50's this weekend! Do not hang up those rods just yet!!!! Last outing was one of the best this fall. Juro. Come on down! Maybe we can get a "final bow to the season" crew together. Had three mornings when I sure wish I'd had a longer stick! Just out of reach.

Phil
Old 11-14-2004, 08:35 PM
_

I hit RI at about 10:30 am this morning. Stopped at the overlook east of Weekapaug to look for bird activity. Lots of birds way out, a few in close around the point. Saw a flyfisher making his way out onto the rocks but didn't see him hook up. Made a quick stop at Weekapaug and saw a flock of birds working towards Watch Hill so I headed to Napatree, hoping that the fish would run along the beach there. I started walking the beach and about halfway to the point I ran into a nice blitz but the fish were all small. Chased the birds and fish up and down the beach for a while and hooked up a few times but never even landed one. The fish stayed near shore until about an hour before low tide, then moved out. For a while there was also a massive blitz going on way out from the point. Wish they came in to shore! I stayed until the sun went down but I got cold before any fish showed up so I headed home. Hope others fared better than I did!

Q
Old 11-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Jonesin...

I got to the beach about 12:30. Walked over the dunes to find a large flock of gulls hammering the wash. Ran back to the truck got in the waders and grabbed the rod. For the next two hours the fish ran up and down the beach. Some in the wash, some futher out. No big fish for me and didn't see any keepers landed but I ended the day at 6 p.m. with 50+ fish brought to hand. Key was to keep moving and find the fish. Many fish were caught with no birds in sight. I think there were so many fish off shore that many inshore went unnoticed by the birds. Hopefully they stick around for at least one more week and maybe even grow a little! One thing I didn't understand was that the few boats in the area were coming in close to shore. There must have been hundreds of Gannets dive bombing a few hundred yards offshore with some huge splashes underneath visible from shore going unmolested by the boats.

Sean
Old 11-15-2004, 06:19 PM
resigned

Great reports fellas! As you can see there are still catchable fish out there mostly small but still loads of fun! Bait is so thick under those gannets, the boat guys probably gave up in seach of smaller schools. I will go scouting in the AM before work to add to these ongoing reports. We're in for another warm week! Good luck!

Phil
Old 11-15-2004, 07:35 PM

Anyone try throwing foot long flies out there? During the migration there are fish of all sizes in attendance and the brats often make up in excitability what the cows have in size.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Anyone try throwing foot long flies out there? During the migration there are fish of all sizes in attendance and the brats often make up in excitability what the cows have in size.
Big Sedotti Slammers during the day and an oversize black deceiver after dark. Nothing but short strikes. I didn't see any big bait in close but I can't imagine those gannets were diving on peanuts. I was hoping the herring would move in at dusk but after an hour of short strikes and cold hands I gave in. I know there were big fish farther out but never saw anything to indicate they came within a few hundred yards of shore.

Sean

Last edited by Smcdermott; 11-15-2004 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:33 PM

I'd say you definitely covered it!

Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.