RIDICULOUS! Winter bonefish clave - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like:

What:
rIdIcUlOuS clave

Why:
Because.

Where:
Bahamas archipelago - Acklins, Eleuthera, Grand Bahamas, Abaco, or other DIY destination with lots of bones

When:
March or April (tbd)

Probable who's include:

FredA.
luv2flyfish
n1gdo
Sean McD.
Dave17
Bonefishmon
Juro

... (already enough to make a good rental opportunity happen!)

(Deerhaawk, others from previous posts... please confirm interest)

How:
Converge on an island, share a car / lodging / fly tying table / stories / stogies / kaliks and walk, stalk, rock the flats!

BTW: Example of a special fare from Boston to Ft.Lauderdale connection point to bahamasair is $163 round trip if booked before Dec 31, 2004 and flight orig. on or before April 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
man does this sound awesome! Too bad all my vaca time is already booked up.

RE Spanish Wells. We rented a place on the water that had small bonefish all over right in front. It seemed not ideal though from a fishing standpoint, as there was a lot of grass covered "flats" of about 3-4 ft not ideal for wading. Now that was on the NW side of the island, and i never really ventured much further on foot.

Regarding boats...watch it around the reefs!!! We went through "the devil's backbone" off of SW and man even with GPS and a keen eye, that Staghorn came popping through the water a bit too close for my liking a few times. Renting the boat was awesome though, as it opened up a whole other scenario of reef fishing for large jacks and what not.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:20 AM

Damn!

Man,
Sounds like a Blowout, but I just can't make the #s and dates jive. Just signed up for classes and I got to stick with that comit. Besides I got friends South, bout 1 1/2 hours out of La Paz that have been sayin "Amigo, no mas La Paz?" I think I will be staying "Westside" this time.
Big trip back East next Summer / Fall, got to start saving for that.
Its a tough one....
Damn!
Deerhawk
Old 11-19-2004, 06:40 AM

This is looking pretty good....

March or April 2005 would be fine for me...either one.

It would be fun to see one of the islands way down south in the Bahamas but
I am open to anywhere there is good fishing and the group decides.

The Abacos have a lot of great DIY sites but the distances require a rental car
and that is expensive but with a group you could do it. Eleuthera is similar.

There are a couple of guys on the net that have Abacos information on
the flats to go to and house rentals etc.....I will tap their knowledge if we decide
on that island group.

Mark/Chris are you out there ????

Keep me in the loop...and thanks Juro for your help in all of this.

frank
Old 11-19-2004, 07:07 AM
Swinger of Flies

For the Washingtonians.....

I am finding flights from Seatac to Ft. Lauderdale during march and april from 200 to about 275. Flights on from Lauderdale to Nassau are between 100 and 200 bucks. these are all round trip fares.

Sweeeeeeet!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:20 AM

From the adventure standpoint, Acklins is the place. 1,000 square miles of bonefish flats... on the lee of one island (including Crooked Island). It's not convenient in fact we will have to lose a day of fishing one way unless we charter a plane for about $300 each r/t vs. $100-150.

From a convenience standpoint with big returns on cost, Grand Bahama, Abaco, Eleuthera, Long Island, heck they are all good values.

Not critical but a rugged destination won't help me gather information to set up the couple's clave next year. The ultimate clave... they shop, we fish

I do not want to go back to Exuma DIY because of the Exuma guide's association and their feeling that people have no right to fish on their own. This is not true, in fact the Bahamian government sells permits to fish on one's own. Although no one will check it's good to have this paperwork because it guides will have to acknowledge. I loved the island and would go back if I was hiring a guide in a heartbeat though. I just don't want to be hassled about fishing. Andros, although the premier destination for bonefishing, is bottled up pretty tight from what I hear as well. Another place to go on planned trips but not necessarily DIY. So let's rule these out this time around.

Grand Bahama has tons of amenities, cheap lodging and three primary areas to stalk flats (west, north, east). Frequent flights to this main island. Car rentals are easy to find and cheap as is lodging, Port Lucaya is a spring break destination (cheap amenities). Good exploration point for a couples clave as well.

Abaco and Eleuthera seem to be similar, although I hear the Eleuthera is the prettier of the islands and might be the best all-around package. I am sure Abaco would make a good follow-up setting as well for a potential couples clave. Both would require car rental to get around, but if shared that is not a big deal. Driving on the other side of the road is a trip but you get used to it.

Long Island has some of the most walkable DIY flats in the chain, and great lodging with amenities. It's in the rural category from what I hear, so if we are going rural without the future scouting potential then we might as well go all the way and explore Acklins. Car would be required as well in rural settings.

All of the Bahamian chain has more bonefish than where we come from. I think any of the islands would be fun and productive. So it boils down to DIY quality, amenities, cost, and lastly sniffing out the couples clave location for 2006.

What are the thoughts... wild and unexplored (Acklins) or convenient with follow-up benefits? My sensible side says "scout out the couples clave possibilities" and my wild angler side says "Acklins mon!"...
Old 11-19-2004, 09:04 AM
Swinger of Flies

Making the Buck stretch the best is my only concern. I figured there was fish to be had just about anywhere. Since this is also a scouting trip for the "couple's clave" we might as well kill 2 bones with one fly. Those are my pennies.

Since I have never been to the Bahamas before, or fished for Bones before.....Its gonna kick some major @$$ no matter where it is from my standpoint. As long as there is a cold beverage, a little sunshine, and some fly fishing.....not much else is too overly important.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Middle Aged Member

The wild remote sure sounds appealing. Hassle free DIY is a must. Scouting for a couples venue would be great if you could do it but it seems you could do that remotely (net, word of mouth) thus should be low on the list of priorities.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:56 AM

Yeeeeesssssss!! I've been waiting for this thread all year. I don't care what the date is I'm in. I don't know anything about the Bahamas so I don't know how reliable any research from me would be, but I 'll do anything possible to help out.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:11 PM

Thumbs up

Enthusiasm is a major ingredient of a successful trip! You're in buddy.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Ha! Ha! Ha!

After an afternoon phone call with Juro, I broached the subject with my darling bride. I'm not too sure what this means, but she started to laugh. Not just a simple laugh. But one of those uncontrolable belly laughs that's accompanied by tears rolling from the eyes and a trip to the bathroom. I left her in the throne room and went to work. A call to home 2 hours later found my wfe laughung so hard she couldn't speak.

My wedding anniversary is in 2 days. This could get costly.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:47 AM
resigned

Juro. I have e- mailed Dick Brown and Stephen Vletas. Both athorities on the fishing in the Out Islands and will be back with their responses ASAP. Asked Steve for a sponsorship. I think Dick is a member as he found me on this site for questions about Andros. Please include me for this Clave. Have you checked out Green Turtle Cay off Abaco? I want to go there really bad! Great flats on the Nortn and south end! I will send an a great shots from satellite.

Phil
Old 11-20-2004, 09:00 AM
resigned

Green Turtle Cay from outer space

http://www.go-abacos.com/theabs/manjack_to_gtc_aerial

Hope this works! If not just type out www.go-abacos.com and click from there.

Phil
Old 11-20-2004, 09:01 AM

KEWL - you're in!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:53 AM

Phil -

We're looking for:

a) DIY hassle-free and easy conditions
b) pricing per head with 6-10 participants (currently at 7/8 heads)
c) amenities - car, boats, kayaks, promixity to flats, etc.
d) potential for couples clave in 2006

Can you confirm Abacos based on this criteria for the group? Thanks!

BTW - I certainly appreciate and look forward to having your enthusiasm and great team spirit on our oddysey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.