RIDICULOUS! Winter bonefish clave - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Frank!

That's a great option. It's cheap and there are three times of departure on Fridays from Nassau.

One caveat is that the aerial photos from the small plane were directly responsible for locating great flats, and might be worth the trouble at least on the way there.

However that's not as important as getting there and the option of taking a fast ferry is very valuable indeed, thanks!

This flat was located by plane, the road identified by shape. There was an incredible mangrove inlet that pushed water out on the ebb, and there were 150 or more bones gathered there when I stepped into the water. I hooked up immediately, then waited for Eddie, who got a fantastic head-on shot and hooked up on his second cast. The next day, Eddie and John both landed multiples at the same spot. I saved my luck for the afternoon at another flat, where I hooked and landed a few including a 6-7 pounder. Right after that I hooked and lost the 11-12 pound beast, a fight I will never forget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mangroves.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	3966  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2004, 12:59 PM

Eddie's on... and not a soul in sight in either direction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eddie.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	3967  
Old 11-13-2004, 01:04 PM

This one fell victim to the all-arounder (two-handed bonefish ). They aren't always big but they're always fun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	allaroundr.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	3968  
Old 11-13-2004, 01:09 PM

and sometimes they are big AND fun...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	niceone.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	3969  
Old 11-13-2004, 01:10 PM

That hurts!

I am looking out my window at the cold Atlantic and snow on the ground and I have to look at those pictures of Bahamian flats!!!!! grrrrrrrr

I have done Spanish Wells and Harbour Island and mainland Eleuthera.
There are many flats on Eleuthera but you need a rental car because they
are so spread out as some of you already know but it is a good DIY site.

I, personally would like to see Acklin's or one of the more southern islands because I have never been, but no matter where you all decide count me in.

Juro...have you ever communicated with Mark Dougherty on the boards..he is a wealth of info on the Abacos...in fact he and I were going to do a trip but it got ruined by the hurricanes...I will have him chime in with info.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:46 PM
LBFF Mojo

Count me in!

-sean
Old 11-13-2004, 08:50 PM

Awesome news Sean!

Jay things might work out afterall for your return from the middle east in March; I found out that the Seattle fly show is Feb 11, 12, 13, 2005 at Meydenbauer Center, Bellevue and hope to attend the Kaufmann's Spey Days on the Skykomish the following weekend so I might be SOL for any additional time off in February.

Late Jan; early or late March or early April work best for me.

Flyfishing Forum will have a booth in Wilmington March 12-13. I'll make the Sandy Clave in May, then the flats light up around here.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Swinger of Flies

Juro,

I've missed the Sandy Clave the last 2 years due to "unforseen obiligations." I am making the next one come hell or high water. I cant bank on being back for the show in mid feb. Its hard to tell. I am working out some post-military employment kinks as we speak. That'll ultimately determine what my schedule works out to be. If I can swing a trip like this, I will. I'll do a little research on bahamas weather pattern trends. But, its looking good and I shouldnt be employed until the first week of June (when the fishing season starts in AK).
Old 11-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Swinger of Flies

Bahama Weather Info

Current historic complete weather data in any time duration format you wish can be found at the following link. I did a monthly view for the months of March looking back over the last 4 years. I do not know if the precip. data is accurate or incomplete. The Icon said rain, but the precip data was blank.....on all graphs I could dig up. I dont know if its accurate. It has to rain sometime...right? Anyhow, this link should give the planners a better idea.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/....html#calendar

Weather Underground Kicks @$$! I went to NOAA first, but Goverment websites when looking for usable data arent very friendly.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:03 PM

Abaco anyone ?

I have fished Abaco a few times.....the Marls , Cherokee Sound..Robinson Bight,,,
I have stayed in places for $75 a night (2 bedrooms, fully equiped) and have split the costs with a few other folks for a 4 bedroom , 2 full bath with laundry for $1700 a week (On Casurina Point) I have some good contacts there for meals
that are out of this world for $15 a night !!! I usually DIY a fw days and guide a few....here is a link for the casurina point house...cool place....hope this helps...
and YES i am up for a trip !!!
http://www.jrsbonefishabaco.com/rentals.htm

One more decent place in Cherokee.....
http://poloscottage.com/

Last edited by JusBones; 11-15-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:13 AM

Moving ahead...

First a few points:

I respectfully suggest that we only post direct links and such if accompanied by a cost estimate and summary of it's endearing characteristics. We could easily get to the point where we have too much information, which is better than not enough but still let's keep this very focused.

Secondly, we need to settle on some core parameters: What, when, where, who (then how, how much, etc).

What is a given; when is next, then where.

When:

I would like to do this in December, March or April. Any thoughts on timing out there?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:41 AM
Jonesin...

I would be interested in March or April depending on cost and exact dates. December is tight with the holidays and all and would make the turnaround time tough. It is a bit of a toss up between March and April for me. I think the later in Spring you get the more favorable the historical weather but then its closer to our prime fishing time. Are we definitely thinking Bahamas or is Mexico, PR or others an option. I think it would make sense if we could just pick a two week time frame and then search based on how many would like to go. If we don't nail down the who and when the where becomes difficult.

Sean
Old 11-17-2004, 08:48 AM

X-Mas Present

My financial advisor (wife) hinted that she may be agreeable to me heading down to Abaco in December. I plan on guiding 3 days and 2 DIY. Where: Marls or Cherokee Sound or both with guide.....Robinsons and Little Bay DIY. Housing:
....guess it depends on # of guys....big house 4 guys 425 a pop....small place fewer guys....nickles and dimes....I was thinking mid-month, baby moon time.....
I saw some tide charts......looks like we could hit the rising tides in the morning and have a shot at them around 1-3 PM....

Mark
Old 11-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Swinger of Flies

Does this board have the option of starting a Poll. That would at least get us pointed in the right general direction wouldnt it - to narrow down the "When" portion?

March or April works for me (as it stands right now)

Last edited by Luv2flyfish; 11-17-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:58 AM

Hey Juro!

Just thinking out loud here...there's no doubt that the more participants, the more 'offset' the cost of lodgings and vehicle rental is. I do offer though that a group "too large" can work against the DIY aspect. If you've got 10 guys and only one or two vehicles...competition for casting room on any DIY flats would be fierce!!! With that many folks in the fray, the potential for "hard-feelings" would certainly be high. Also, the more "prime" the season...the more competition from other "non-boneclave" anglers you're going to have.

I'd vote to go to Mayaguana and rent/bring/borrow/steal some sort of watercraft so folks could all spread out. This is one location that having a large group of anglers would be a benefit...re: the price of a charter/scheduled flight there isn't as reasonable as Andros or Eleuthera but when you have a light planeload...well?. The DIY (with light watercraft) flats there are vast I understand and close to home. One rental vehicle or even taxi could shuttle the group in a number of trips without trouble. Also...I don't believe Mayaguana has ever been recognised as a DIY destination only because there are easier/cheaper places to get to.

I seen from your earlier posts that you've shown a fair bit of interest in Spanish Wells...I'd reconsider that aspect if I were you because you're trapped on a small Island that receives heavy DIY pressure. You'd be better off finding someplace on South or Central Eleuthera (below the Glass Window Bridge because it's verging on impassible). Lots of flats and places to stay down there.

My Bonefishing trips (at this point) are already booked for the time being...just trying to offer a few ideas for you fine folks to throw around.

I hope you don't mind me budding in on your serious efforts to put together a wonderful adventure.

Best regards buddy,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.