Breaking the rules - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2004, 08:29 PM

Breaking the rules

Didn't take the temperature today but the water was cold. I'm usually OK for standing for long periods in cold water while wearing breathables plus a couple of layers, but today I'm in those same layers with 5mm neoprenes and I'm cold.

Hooked up seven on the swung fly and had a load more hit. With a bit more hookup luck, I could've been in double digits. I was swinging the fly cross-current to produce a broadside presentation (which requires that the fish chase) and the fly was getting nailed. This big run has a bowl shaped cross-section so through the middle of the swing when the fly is moving at its fastest, it was likely a couple of feet off the bottom and it was getting crushed. These weren't all fresh fish, the buck I landed was dark and a bit roughed up. To make matters worse in the rules department. I was creating a downstream belly in the line, Atlantic salmon style, to speed up the fly.

According to conventional GL steelhead wisdom, I should've been skunked. What went wrong? This isn't a smart-arse question as we're told over and over that GL fish won't chase a fast moving fly (relative to the current) in cold water and that GL fish won't rise for a fly. They were doing both today. These were all streambred fish, BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 11:46 PM

Peter,

Why would it not work? The only reason I can come up with that is 100% guaranteed not to work is: not to try!

William
Old 11-20-2004, 05:41 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I noticed the fin structure indicating streamborn from your photo, thanks for confirming. As Bill said, what went right was that you believed
Old 11-20-2004, 07:31 AM

i don't know about the weather where you were fishing, but it has been kind of warm this past week in the buffalo area. maybe the water temps have crept up a tiny bit. that might explain it, but it might not.

i fished two consecutive days a couple weeks ago. the water was high and off color. first day struggled a bit until the end of the day when a great bite came on. came back the next day to the same conditions and the fish wouldn't leave the swung fly alone. broadside, fast, slow.... it didn't seem to matter. don't know why the fish were so aggressive. haven't seen it since even under similar conditions, but glad to have experienced it.

heck, breaking the mold only gives you more confidence in the swing when conditions may not be perfect.... and confidence is key.

chris
Old 11-20-2004, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
I noticed the fin structure indicating streamborn from your photo, thanks for confirming. As Bill said, what went right was that you believed

Whitemans Creek, one of the best steelhead baby factories around, produces about 50,000 streambred fish a year plus the Nith river system (much larger than Whitemens) has significant numbers of cold water tribs suitable for steelhead breeding that they are now starting to use. There is no steelhead hatchery program for the Grand and the only fin clips we get are those that run up the Grand by mistake. I'm pretty certain that the Grand was originally colonized by fish from other systems quite some time ago, so we should be seeing the emergence of a particular Grand strain of fish.

Whitemans and other creeks have huge amounts of spring feeders that mitigate temperature plus Whitemans has many deep pools, that have been carve out by springs, that make for perfect over-wintering spots. Whitemans is a fish sanctuary from September 30th to the last Saturday in April so there's no fishing for these hold-overs nor is there any fishing over redds. The middle Grand season runs until December 31st.

http://home.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/caledonia-2.jpg

This dam in Caledonia is acting as a selection device as only the best and strongest can make it up and over. It keeps those fin clip fish out of the genetic pool as most will have difficulty getting by. It's also pushing the peak fall run earlier into the system as these fish need a good flow rate and relatively warm water to get over. There were fish below Caledonia in late August this year.

The Grand at this point is a very wide river (you're seeing only about half the dam in this photo) so finding fish is a challenge despite the estimates that we're getting about 20,000 fish entering the system each year.

Currently their northward migration is halted by a dam in Paris but that dam is failing and one day they'll get by or someone will get a fish ladder built. Then the entire upper section up to the Shand dam will be available for breeding.

Last edited by peter-s-c; 11-20-2004 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:49 PM
thread killer

peter, congrats on the banner day. one like it has not been far from my dreams for a long while, or even one half that good. if you would share, what was the fly, if not top secret? again, well done.

"Whitemans is a fish sanctuary from September 30th to the last Saturday in April so there's no fishing for these hold-overs nor is there any fishing over redds. The middle Grand season runs until December 31st". borrowed from peter-s-c

i've read some of your whitemans creek, a highly beneficial forethought by someone thinking ahead. here we have too few spawning sanctuarys that close 12/31 and reopen 4/01. better than nothing. your administry's policy seems more inclined towards putting the fish first, as it should be.

when you say "no fishing over redds" is this within the sanctuarys or on all waters?

"heck, breaking the mold only gives you more confidence in the swing when conditions may not be perfect.... and confidence is key". borrowed from topwater.

i couldn't agree more to the above statement, confidence is indeed a powerfull ally. SG
Old 11-20-2004, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner
peter, congrats on the banner day. one like it has not been far from my dreams for a long while, or even one half that good. if you would share, what was the fly, if not top secret? again, well done.
Go to http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...new/index.html and the FLIES, then WEAMERS. The site isn't finished but the weamer section is almost done. I was using the brown trout weamer version.

Quote:
when you say "no fishing over redds" is this within the sanctuarys or on all waters?
Any trout spawning water is closed from Sept 30th to the last Saturday in April so
that effectively eliminates fishing over redds. The Saugeen system does have an extensive area open till Dec. 31st but it's mostly chinook doing the spawning and fishing over their redds is possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.