A few thoughts this Veteran's Day - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 07:27 AM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

A few thoughts this Veteran's Day

Just a few thoughts...

We've just been through a bruising election, but let's remember that the men and women fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan under the Stars and Stripes aren't fighting for Republicans or Democrats...they are fighting, bleeding, and dying for Americans.

Thanks to all who are now serving or have served our country, and to their families and loved ones who shared in that service and sacrifice. May God bless you and yours.

Semper paratus!

-Doc
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Fly chucker

Wise words, Doc. I'll just add that these men and women aren't fighting, bleeding, and dying for only Americans. They are doing so for all who love and enjoy peace and freedom, particularly in Iraq.

If you know a vet, please let them know how much you appreciate their efforts and sacrifices.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Swinger of Flies

A Heart Felt Thanks

From the Northern City of Mosul - I'll extend a Thank You on behalf of us up here. I only know a couple other fly fishers here, but I dont think that matters much. You are spot on with the comment pertaining to us not doing this for republicans or democrats. We do it for the people here, We do it for you guys back home, and even more importantly - we do it for the man or woman standing next to us over here. You do it for the guy standing next to you at that moment - doesnt matter if you know them or not.

One of the tricks over here for making time go by is to not pay attention to time at all. Most of the time I cant tell you what day it is. If it didnt tell me on my watch - I wouldnt know. I didnt know it was Veteran's Day. That means its what....mid-November? Wait a minute....that means that my home rivers are stacked with salmon.......Will someone go out and rip their lips off on behalf of the fly fishers over here?

I spend a great amount of time fishing vicariously through this forum. Thanks to the Mods who keep us up and running!

Seriously though, Thanks for taking a minute to remember us, and those who came before us. That reminds me, I need to send an email to my Dad and tell him Thanks! Tight Lines! Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Fly chucker

Jay, thanks for dropping us a line. I hope you return home safely in due time.

Take care of yourself and others.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:04 AM

Thumbs up Howdy Jay,

I can relate to your trying to ignore time passing, in The Nam we had to do 365 days and I sometimes thought that knowing each day was one less was the biggest reminder of how much longer we had to stay.
Jay I will be more than happy to grant your wish, today I will for no other reason than satisfying your unfullfilled desire I will put up with the long drive to a Stream teeming with Salmon and hopefully a few steelheads and I will personally rip some lips for you.
Keep your head down when appropriate.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Wanna be striper bum

My Pal Erwin

Well,

A very good friend of mine is in Iraq right now. Erwin was my old college rommate, he was a groomsman in my wedding and he is a great man.

He dropped out of business school and joined the Army after 9/11. He wanted to serve our coutry because he was deeply appreciative of the opportunities offered to him as a citizen of the USA. I did not necessarily agree with his decision to join the Army. However, I was proud of him when he completed his Special Forces training.

Yesterday I learned that Erwin was attacked by a suicide bomber in Iraq. The only reason that he is alive is because the bomb in the bomber's backpack detonated a bit early. None of the soldiers in the area were killed. Erwin is in the hospital but doing well. He will fully recover in a few weeks and return to be with his men.

As stated before, I could care less about the political angle as it relates to this War. Let's not worry about the rationale behind the War right now. All I know is that I am praying for the safety of our troops in Iraq.

Jay, let's hope that you are back in the US fishing for salmon ASAP. Stay safe.

-Mike
Old 11-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Swinger of Flies

Mike, sorry to hear about buddy. Luck and Timing take on whole new meanings in an evironment like this. I wish your friend a speedy recovery. He'll be happy to be back with his guys.

With their ramadan celebrations over the last month - things have been pretty wild. Of course, if I couldnt eat during the day for a month....I'd probably be pretty pissed off too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.