Thames River Boat Ramp - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Thames River Boat Ramp

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has knowledge of the Thames River boat ramp. It is listed as a tidal ramp, But no more information was listed as to how llong it would be unavailable at or near low tide. Can anyone provide more detail as to how long it is closed at or near low tide. Is it very deep around it.
Rather not find out the hard way if I don't have too.

Thanks,
Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Jonesin...

Greg,

Not a boater so I don't know the limitations but another ramp in the area is Pleasure Beach in Waterford. Would be a short hop to the Thames and puts you in right at the power plant.

Sean
Old 11-09-2004, 11:57 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Thanks...

Hi Sean,

I'll keep that in mind. Is that ramp open throughout the tides as far as you know? It's really nice not to have to worry about getting there at a certain tide/time or what your boat drafts etc...

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Jonesin...

Greg,

I think so but to be honest I haven't really paid attention and don't fish there that often. The water surrounding the rocks is pretty deep though. The ramp is kind of sparse as far as amenities go. Just a space cut out through the rocks. No place to tie off or anything. Proabably a two man job.

Sean
Old 11-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Fly chucker

Sean is right, and I'd like to add that that place can be a real pain to launch/load a boat when there is any wind from the south, particularly the southwest.

There's a spot on the Thames that many of the locals use to tap into the river's winter striper fishery. Hopefully someone here knows of it and will speak up.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:39 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Prior to Oct 2001...

I kept a 21' SeaSwirl cuddy at a friend's place up the river (Wilson's Marina)...
There are 2 nice ramps under the I-95 bridge...
One on the Groton (east) side and one on the New London (west) side of the Thames...
The New London side was near a tuff part of town and leaving valuable in the truck was an open invitation to trouble...what else is new?!
I didn't launch there but fished the area when coming/going to Fishers, Sugar Reef, Race Rock, where ever...
The facility may be pulled for the season...?!
Plenty of water at all tides and nothing to hit but the bridge (unless you get creative)...
There's also a public ramp up the river on the west side in Montville (near a power plant as I recall)...'launched there once and saw no problems with tide or hazzards...
A substantial Striped hold over population up river near Norwich with finder returns resembling underwater ledges and submarines!
An internet search may yield better ramp info...
Better bring a sweater!
Old 11-09-2004, 01:23 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Thanks guys,

Appreciate the details on the ramps and potential problems with the west side ramp one might encounter when using them. I've read quite abit about the winter striper fishery on the thames. Sounds like a pretty big population there to check out. Might try alittle winter fishing around there as long as we don't have a deep freeze like last years winter. Not much of an Ice Fisherman .

Thanks again,
Greg.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:27 PM

Greg try this site it should have the info you need. http://www.lisrc.uconn.edu/coastalaccess/index.asp
FishHawk
Old 11-09-2004, 03:41 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Fishhawk,

Thanks for the URL to the CT coastal access site. It was there that I found it was listed as a tidal access. With the numberous situations I have been in with Tidal access it was a red flag that prompted this post!

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:11 AM

Greg,

How are ya? Grew up boating the Thames in a little 16' footer. Its been years since I've done it but here's what I remember.

I second Penguin's post on the New London ramp. Easy access but baddd neighborhood . Montville has a solid ramp but last time I was their, there is a lot of underwater structure that you have to watch out for at low.

Two that haven't been mentioned (I don't think)

1. Norwich, newer ramp no tide problems and plenty of docks. One man job with a long line you can pull the boat off the trailer right up to the dock and then park. Half hour cruise to the mouth of the river.

2. Spicer's in Groton. Have no idea how to get there (its past Pfizers) last time I was there I wasn't old enough to drive but it's at Spicer's marina and used to always be in good shape. Now that I think about it, it's almost on the UCONN Avery Point campus.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Old 11-10-2004, 08:10 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Dave,

I'm doing well thanks. Hope your still happy with the new job and living situation.
Thanks for sharing your memories and infomation regarding acccess to the Thames. I was certainly heading towards the ramp in the bad neighborhood prior to Penguin's post and your confirmation of it being an issue. I like the sound of the one up in the Norwich area. I'll probably give it a try pretty soon to check out the winter Striper fishery there. As I recall I will have to get a freshwater license in CT. I'll have to look into the ramps at Spicers, Montville and the east side ramp, I assume they charge a fee at Spicers if it's at a marina.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:17 PM

On Spicer's, I don't think so. It's not actually owned by the marina. It's right next door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.