N Umpqua Regs - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2004, 12:20 PM

N Umpqua Regs

I stopped off at Joe's shop a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that new regs will again allow weighted flies after October 1 and I think through May - still unweighted from June through Sept. I believe this goes into effect next year. I for one think it makes sense - it opens up more runs on the river that are pretty tough to fish without getting down and certainly helps for the few who winter fish up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2004, 12:43 PM

Regs

Just visited the ODFW site, nothing yet, but probably won't show till after the 1st of the year. Thanks for the info Rick, I will be watching.

Deerhawk
Old 11-06-2004, 06:43 PM

I wish the weighted flies wouldn't start until November 1. Surface and near-surface flies still work fine in October.

--Bill
Old 11-08-2004, 08:27 AM

I agree that weighted flies for the winter makes sense. BUT BOBBERS ARE STILL ILLEGAL. Thank God. Frankly, the weighted flies ban has added to my enjoyment of the North Umpqua experience. I have fished many new runs because of the lead ban. The fishing is perhaps a bit tougher, but I have more personal satisfaction. And perhaps the illegal nymph fisherman still using 2 ounce stoneflies, will stay home until October of each year.

Mark
Old 11-08-2004, 06:28 PM

I have to say that I am glad I don't fish the NU!! It is guys like you the keep me away. I thought that things where mellowing out down there but I can see that some people are still raising a stink about weighted flys. I guess there are still folks that think there way is the only way.

Mike
Old 11-08-2004, 10:18 PM

WEIGHING IN ON "WEIGHTED" FLYS

Good evening,
Anyone who knows me, knows that the North Umpqua is one of my favorites! Bar none..... And I can honestly say, that I have NEVER been bothered by anyone using a weighted fly to catch whatever they are going for!
With that said, if a guy has to use a weighted fly to get a strike on that river well......I don't know, man.
Personaly, I like my fish to have to come to the surface, or go home skunked........... but that's just 'cause I'm a "Dry Guy"

And I remain.....Floatin Down Stream
Deerhawk
Old 11-09-2004, 12:04 AM
JD

Thumbs up Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamae
BUT BOBBERS ARE STILL ILLEGAL. Thank God. Mark
Sure wish we could get a bobber ban down here.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJones
Sure wish we could get a bobber ban down here.
True, too true ... but it would cut out 50-60 percent of the fly fishermen on the upper Rogue during the summer season.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:16 AM
JD

Thumbs down Drift fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans
True, too true ... but it would cut out 50-60 percent of the fly fishermen on the upper Rogue during the summer season.
Too bad. Let them learn how to fish a fly as a flyrod was designed to fish a fly.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:02 PM

No question we need a bobber ban across the entire fly fishing world. But then again I'm from the political party that believes in more Bans be it test bans or bobber bans.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:45 PM

I'm not quite sure why how someone else is fishing would detract from one's own enjoyment of fishing that river. I will admit when the indicator guys were up there in force they would camp on a run at times which was annoying and just bad fishing etiquette - but if they were fishing unweighted flies and still camping on a run it would be just as bad etiquette and I have seen that happen. But taking away weighted flies actually reduces runs that can be effectively fished on that river. Fishing unweighted flies under tough conditions up there is like beating a dead horse - the fish just are not going to move! When one spends $100 on gas it is nice to have options though that is one river I do not mind getting skunked on. If the weighted ban was lifted, I for one would use wighted flies on certain runs and under certain cirmumstances to improve my chances for a hookup.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:26 PM
JD

Cool unweighted flies, fish that won't move

Well I guess we could always stone the river to get the fish moving......Or maybe we should stone the nymph fishers who won't move.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:34 PM

It has nothing to to with how people fish. It has every thing to do with people fishing "my" run. Of course they will deny it, but most often they will camp out on a run just like the indicator fisherman. It dosen't matter how you choose to fish as long as you practice good edicate(sp). It seems that even the purist fly fishers among us have forgotten that.
Mike
Old 11-09-2004, 02:03 PM
JD

Unhappy I can't do it

I don't know why...I seem to be pre-programmed or something. But I can't fish right out in front of me, nor can I stay in the same spot. I even have trouble camping over a player. Throwing multiple casts at him, changing to a smaller fly, throwing at him two or three more times. I may rest the spot and come down through again, but I have to keep moving.
I never could drive 55 mph either.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:48 AM

For me, fly casting and fly fishing the North Umpqua is a religious experience. I have no real problem with weighted flies in certain runs, but when one adds a big assed bobber to the mix, the resulting cast is an ugly thing to behold. It is a shame that strike indicators, to help newbies and people with poor eyesight to see a grab or a short pause, have evolved into the bobbers we now have. Outside of the anadromus world, the use of floats have gotten way out of hand. It is sad the number of fishermen today who come into a shop, want to advance their knowledge from nymphing to dries or even soft hackles and ask where they should place the bobber!

I have a patent pending on a cheap float for those that can not afford the multitude of options found in your local fly shop.....an empty Mountain Dew bottle. The screw cap allows easy movement up and down the leader, and they can be spray painted various colors, including flou-chartreuse for after hours sighting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.