how many are committed to something besides egg patterns ? - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2004, 04:16 PM

the question of color is an interesting one. i have always liked bright flies, although if i had to choose one color it would be black. while most of my fishing has been out west, i've had a blast swinging flies for the past month in the great lakes region. i've did well initially on black's and purple's... but just didn't find willing fish on brighter colors (orange, pink). and just in the past couple weeks, i've been playing with natural colors (olive, grizzly) and believe i've been doing much better, even in dirty water flows. whether that's because great lakes fish feed more (i really don't know) i started changing to more natural hues when i noticed the sculpins in the shallows and it has paid off for me.

but, i'm believe confidence is a key factor in flies... and that may probably has more to do with my lack of success with brighter flies. the better i do with darker and natural colors, the less i'm going to reach for something else during the lulls that happen throughout the day.

as an aside, you have one hell of a fishery out here.

chris
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Pullin' Thread

Peter,

The hackle on the Red Knight is blue-eared pheasant. The hackle on the Redwing Black Bird Spey is good old fashioned, much maligned schlappen prepared in the fashion Steve Gobin showed 13 years ago (I've got the directions for how to do it elsewhere on a schlappen thread).

Charlie,

I don't have a digital camera so I have to scan my flies to put them up on the forum. Unfortunately, not only does my scanner alter the color of florescent hues, when a fly is scanned, it gets canted a tad. This results in the flat-winged speys appearing like the wing is tented or laying right on top of the body. The wing actually rides up at a slight angle from the body (just like a wing on a G.P.) and when the fly is under tension, it helps to push it down in the water column.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.