how many are committed to something besides egg patterns ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 06:37 PM

Location: My "home waters" really belong to the beavers........and they let me know it now and then !
how many are committed to something besides egg patterns ?

I was wondering how many anglers here are committed to fishing/tying something besides egg patterns & bead head nymphs most of the time for Steelhead ?Be it streamers, buggers,wets,soft hackles,speys...............just wondering.

Second question - who is still using a single handed rod besides myself for the above ?
Third - do you prefer to fish sink tips when possable ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 07:04 PM

I'm on the ten step program to never using eggs and nymphs again -- speys and streamers only.

What's a "single handed rod"?

Sinktips? What other way is there?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:01 PM

1 year without an egg or nymph in the box. Before that I tried to carry both but found myself pulling out the eggs when things got tough.

If your serious you just have to go cold turkey.

Gillie
Old 11-08-2004, 08:20 PM

Speys, wets, and the occaisonal nymph only

2 handed only(pref cane)

Lead-free and loving it, mend, mend, mend

I fish floating lines only, unless I am fishing the mouths
Old 11-08-2004, 08:55 PM

h2o

h2o,
When you say nymph, do you mean nymph artificial as per English language, or do you use nymph as a pseudonym for 'indicator' fishing?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:05 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
I "Prefer" to fish beadhead nymphs and wets on a floating line and long leader, but have found myself switching to the eggs after spells of fishlessness and have hooked up more on the eggs. As a consolation to this I reward myself for not seeing my spey rods as "Fine, expensive long crawler poles", although I'm sure my catch rates would soar with a bit of garden hackle on the hook.

Should we start a thread on how to keep a worm on a hook while executing a snap T and 80 foot forward spey? I'm thinking a few whip finish turns and some Zap-a-Gap.
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 11-08-2004, 09:45 PM

Location: My "home waters" really belong to the beavers........and they let me know it now and then !
O.K. I am in the right spot. This site was dead a year or so ago, haven't been here since, glad to see it picked up.

Yea, I have done some step programs myself there is one for everything these days....................Why just the other day a stranger was telling me about a new self help group he joined............."paranoids anonymous" ............I asked him................"where are the meetings held"....................he would not tell me ........................lame joke (but I am not above that )

Kind of hard to fish egg patterns when you stop carrying them isn't it, been there done that. Not much of a fly from a tyers standpoint anywho.

Bob, I guess I used it as a pseudo....................but, isn't that some kind of fake seal dubbing or something

I will be back.................

Last edited by h2o; 11-08-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dornblaser
Speys & Streamers

I use mostly Speys and Streamers as well although I do carry a small box with eggs in it. That is mostly habit and my wife is now joining me steelheading. Since she is new and not as proficient at mending as she will be she does use egg patterns. I do use tips and sink tip lines sometimes in the winter.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:07 AM
JD

Cool pseudonym for "indicator" fishing?

indicator is a pseudonym for,,,,,,,,BOBBER

I find it more enjoyable to fish a traditional fly on a floating line and a long leader,,,,,,,even though my catch rate suffers.
One day I will get this thing figured out. A fly design that will get down without multiple wraps of lead. Where I can find fish in water that I can get the fly down far enough. When & where I can skate a fly across the surface.
Meanwhile, I take pleasure in being able to fish my fly in places that are out of reach of those that are trying to drift fish with a fly rod.

Last edited by JDJones; 11-09-2004 at 11:08 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-09-2004, 11:08 AM
removed_by_request

Ditto on what Peter said, will add to list tubes and hairwings.

Down and dirty is the way to swing.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Pullin' Thread

I never fish egg patterns or nymphs, and I hate cating weighted flies on my 2-hand rods. I use my 2-handers for 99% of my fishing and only use a single-hand rod on one nearby river (actually a mid-sized stream not more than 40' across at its widest sections) and then it is an 11' 8/9 that use with spey casts to keep out of the brush and trees behind. I use floating lines in the lower and low waters of summer/fall and sink tips the rest of the year.

Spey, dee, G.P.'s, Ally Shrimps (in original orange-red, purple, hot pink/orange, and Andy Wren's Cut Silk versons), featherwing low water and full dressed, skaters, wakers, and several Irish Shrimp style flies are what I use because I like the way they look and prefer that action of feather wings over hair wings.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJones
indicator is a pseudonym for,,,,,,,,BOBBER

I find it more enjoyable to fish a traditional fly on a floating line and a long leader,,,,,,,even though my catch rate suffers.
One day I will get this thing figured out. A fly design that will get down without multiple wraps of lead. Where I can find fish in water that I can get the fly down far enough.
JD

Had some interesting experiences with fly hydrodynamics over the years. When I was playing around with float foam on the bodies of my streamers to get them closer to neutral buoyancy, one variant would leap out of the water, like a fleeing minnow, when stripped hard. Useless for catching fish but neat to watch.

Last year I was in NC on a fly flinger vs. bassing hardware chucker contest (me against two locals -- lawyers to boot -- I lost -- wonder why?) During one part of the trip, Jeffie the owner of the bay boat, announces that since the casting isn't getting us any stripers, we'll troll the river for them. They have rapalas on bass rods and I have a 10 wt. with a T-7 fullsink and a big clouser. Guess who was hitting bottom and catching the only fish? Me! The shape of the clouser nose was pushing the fly deep on the troll. I've since experimented with this method when pike fishing and have hung up on bottom at depths of 10'.

So, how about inventing a shovel-nosed spey fly? Tie a flatwing on top and spread some head cement over the front third or so as to have it holds its position and shape. Make sure there's some material just behind the flatwing so it holds it up at an angle to the flow of the current, producing a downward force on the fly. I have some unweighted flatwing speys already tied up -- gonna get the glue out tonight.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:45 PM
JD

has this thought occured to anyone else?

I've been wondering about this but been afraid to ask. But most of you on this thread may be OK with this.
But I have to wonder if the situation up here on the Rogue, the indy, two fly, nymph rig, and more importantly, the type of water (slots) these guys prefer to fish, may have evolved from guys that used to fish the same "holes/slots" with drift gear? It seems to me, ('course I'm the new kid on the block up here) that very few employ any kind of a cross river swing. It's all slot fishing.
And no, it doesn't bother me how one chooses to fish. Just that they camp rather than rotate through a run. But if the above is true, then that is maybe not the right water to swing a fly through anyway.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:53 PM
JD

Thumbs up Flat wing Speys

Hey Peter, I love it. Really, it's just an improvement, utilizing modern materials, of a Dee style fly. Ive tried Dahlgerg Divers, but probably haven't really spent enough time with them. Keep us posted on the "rapala" fies.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:07 PM

Flatwing Spey

This fly is a bit mangled from being in the fly box for about a year but it does give some idea of the general arrangement. There's no material behind the wing to get it to stand up and that would have to be changed on the next attempts. The fly was just an experiment in traditional spey hackling technique -- bought the "Spey and Dee Flies" book so I had to give it a whirl. It wasn't meant to be a fish catching fly, just practice, but this patttern has taken a few fish so I'll persist with it.

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...wingspey-1.jpg

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...wingspey-2.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.