Stream Thermometer--Nonsense? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 12:28 AM

Stream Thermometer--Nonsense?

Shall I buy a stream thermometer, or just grab the medical type one that I have in the house? Both will get the job done, right. Other than a lanyard, a protective casing and a pen clip, it seems that a normal thermoter with a plastic case will work fine.

A lanyard--like I don't have enough junk hanging off me.

The plastic housing--good protection I suppose, but then taking a temp reading isn't all that complicated.

Pen clip--handy, and I might just superglue one onto the plastic case.

Any thoughts on stream thermometers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2004, 12:13 PM
JD

market hype & other nonsence

I went through the same thing a year or so ago. Even returned a darn good stream therometer because it wasn't the "Fishpond" brand I wanted. So I found the Fishpond thermometer and bought one. Sexy aluminum housing available in your choice of red, green or blue. And provision for attaching to a lanyard. But the doggone thing is so short, it is difficult to determine an accurate reading. And lanyards or retractors suck!

Find something that reads well in the range of 30 to 80 degrees (where the **** is the degree key???) that has a pen clip on it. Or scavenge a clip, the kind you used to be able to slip on a wooden pencil. Super glue will not work. Hit it once and it comes undone.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:09 PM

Get one of the strip-type thermometers that change color to indicate the tempoerature and attach it to the laces of your wading boots. No need for laynards or things cluttering up your pockets and you don't lose any time deploying it, sampling the tempererature, and returning it to it's stored position. They are cheap to boot.

An angling buddy showed me his and I was immediately impressed. His is actually made for this purpose. I simply used one that was made to attach to a glass carboy for home brewing.

A distinct advantage to my brewer's model is that I am also informed whether I should choose a lager or an ale for my refreshments (Of course whisky, having an unimited range of temperatures that are suitable for its consumption, requires no thermometer).
Old 11-03-2004, 03:19 PM

Cool Stream Thermometer

Lenok,
I don't think the medical thermometer will be useful unless you want to take your own tempereature.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:19 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pauli
Lenok,
I don't think the medical thermometer will be useful unless you want to take your own tempereature.
I guess you'd want to shy away from the rectal thermometers then, huh?
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:45 PM

I love temp's

Kelly girl's and several other brands. Hey Pescaphile the waters are warmest in Northern California. The fish are smaller but there is more to life than sore wrist and cold windy nights! Probably going to get underway by Sunday. Give us a call there is room in camp.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:57 AM

Pescaphile--what "strip-type" thermometers are you talking about? Call me unenlightened but I can't picture what you mentioned.

As for the temperature of what a fellow might consume after the angling, I think that beer bottles sunk into a rock-encircled eddy and kept at cold stream temperature is enough for a guy to feel close to nature as the sun sets and good stories of the day's adventures are told.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:30 PM

Strip type...

I suspect Pescaphile was refering to the Umpqua Feather Merchant strip thermometer that can be laced into the toe of your wading shoes. I have several and they are fairly accurate and are easy to operate you just have to wade into the water and when you want to know the Temp you look at your toe of your wading boot just a glance at the color of the strip will tell you the temp. It won't read colder than frozen and it won't read much above mid 60s but it will be a lot simpler than operating a lanyard and such. I have seen these in most fly shops and several catalogs but I haven't seen many people using them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.