5pc RPLXi Sage - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2001, 04:32 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

5pc RPLXi Sage

I cast the new 5pc 8wt RPLXi today, in the snow and horizontal wind gusts in a parking lot with people looking at me like I had three heads. Glad to be of service

I started directly into the wind with a WF8F line, standard leader and a yarn puff. The backcast was easy, and thus the rod loaded up nicely - but the surprise was the energy in the loop on the forward cast. All but one wind gust was unable to defeat the loop, although some stalled a little most laid out the leader on 60-70 foot casts.

I stripped out more line to get a feel for the potential of the rod but with such a hard wind blowing straight on the only way I could throw the whole line was by shooting the backcast, and that was all wind. All you had to do was throw it up like a kite and it would do the rest.

In any case, the rod hardly feels like a 5pc and IMHO it would be ideal for sea trout in Chile, steelhead and coho salmon in the pacific northwest, salmon in the north atlantic, stripers and tunoids in the northeast (although 9wt would be more suited in my opinion) and a gem to fit in the carry on for bonefish in the carribean.

The most amazing thing about it is the size... boy rod technology has come a long way from the days of the metal ferrules or one peice rods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2001, 07:46 PM

RE:5pc RPLXi Sage

These are nice rods. They load up easily with with 35 ft. of line and cast powerful loops. They are a little softer than the other RPLXi's, and don't have as direct a feel. I think that most people would cast the 5pc rod better.
I cast a Redington nano titanium #6 rod today. Very light and it seemed to cast well in the howling wind as a storm blew in. I have a friend who works at a company that makes the nano titanium prepreg, and she sais that the company is very excited about this technology. I wonder why Sage, and especially Orvis passed it up? I am skeptical.
Old 02-17-2001, 11:33 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've been hearing a lot of direct testimonials on them lately - gonna have to give them a throw tomorrow. Redington's always up to something interesting!
Old 02-18-2001, 01:36 AM

Redington has a 13' #8 two handed rod(DFR) that, when matched with a wind cutter spey line, is the easiest casting rod I have cast.This is not a pricepoint rod(nor is the nano titanium). Interesting goings on a Redington.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.