Fenwick Boron Blank - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2004, 09:04 PM

Fenwick Boron Blank

Hey everyone,

I have a rod that my Dad built from a Fenwick Boron X blank. The number on the blank is XFL-102-6-F sometime in the 1980s. I'm just getting started fly fishing and I'm wondering if this is a good rod for a beginner. Is it a fast or slow rod and how would I find out? Thanks so much!

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Pullin' Thread

It is a fine rod that has a very fast recovery due to the boron in the blank and it is medium stiff with a lot of power in the butt of the rod. The letters and number on the rod tell you the rod the blank makes into, its length in inches, and the line wt designation it was designed to cast.

Thus, your rod was built on a Boron X fly blank (XFL - X stands for boron X and FL stands for fly, that is 8'6" long (102/12=8'6"), and is for a 6 wt line.

This makes it an excellent all-around rod because 5 or 6 wt 8'6" - 9' rods are pretty universally considered by experienced fly fishers to be the best for all-around use. And most experienced fly fishers recommend someone new to the sport to get a 5 or 6 wt 8'6" or 9' rod as his first one.

Welcome to the brotherhood of the fly.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:20 AM

Wow!

Flytyer,
You are amazing!
Bob
Old 10-31-2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks so much for the reply!! I really appreciate it. Now if I can just get rid of those tailing loops....
Old 10-31-2004, 04:14 PM
JD

welome to the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdriskill
Thanks so much for the reply!! I really appreciate it. Now if I can just get rid of those tailing loops....
Tailing loops are caused by too much application of power to soon in the stroke. This causes the tip to bend too much. And since the line follows the path of the tip, the loop collapes.

This concept of a smooth aplication of power, of starting the stroke slow, accelerating, and then a quick stop, is always difficult for beginners to grasp. It is totally opposite of the wrist snap stroke used by plug casters.

The best thing I ever did, was to join a fly fishing club. And I was lucky enough to have picked one that had a lot of very good casters/teachers.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:47 PM
Pullin' Thread

Bob-

I've just been fly fishing for a long time (since 1958 at age 5) and have been blessed with a good memory, that's all. I'm certain there are other folks that know these things too.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:07 PM

Thanks JD -- I do think that's my problem. I'll keep working at it! I am planning on joining the local casting club too.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:05 PM

Talking How's the Fenwick Boron rod going?

I fish with something similar to you. Old but for some of my fishing as favorite.
How are getting on with it?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:59 AM

raymondo - it is working just fine. i don't really have anything to compare it with though! i do wish i had more time to use it. hopefully in the spring i'll be able to sneak away for a weekend.

take care,

jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.