Salmon/steelhead books for fly tyers - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Pullin' Thread

Salmon/steelhead books for fly tyers

Folks,

Here is my short list of what I consider to be essential titles for those desireous of learning how to tie these flies or who wish to have a good, basic library of salmon/steelhead fly tying techniques and patterns.

Kelson, THE SALMON FLY
Francis, A BOOK ON ANGLING
Knox, AUTUMNS ON THE SPEY
Jorgeson SALMON FLIES: CHARACTER, STYLE AND DRESSING
Malone, IRISH TROUT AND SALMON FLIES
Hale, HOW TO TIE SALMON FLIES
Price-Tannatt, HOW TO DRESS SALMON FLIES
Radencich TYING THE CLASSIC SALMON FLY
Alcot, BUILDING CLASSIC SALMON FLIES
Sawada, CLASSIC SALMON FLY DRESSINGS
Helvie, STEELHEAD FLY TYING GUIDE
Comns, STEELHEAD FLY FISHING
Bates, FISHING ATLANTIC SALMON
Veverka, SPEY FLIES & HOW TO TIE THEM
Shewey, SPEY AND DEE FLIES
Mann & Gillespie, SHRIMP & SPEY FLIES FOR SALMON & STEELHEAD
Schmookler, RARE AND UNUSUAL FLY TYING MATERIALS: A NATURAL HISTORY, VO. 1
Schmookler, RARE AND UNUSUAL FLY TYING MATERIALS: A NATURAL HISTORY, VO. 2

This list is just to get the process started for having folks add their favorites so that this can become a comprehensive data base and resource of slamon/steelhead books that deal with fly patterns and/or the tying of them. I have many other titles in my library, but decided to leave them out at this time and just put down what I consider to be the essential books anyone ought to consider acquiring for his salmon/steelhead library. So get those books listed you own or wish to own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2004, 06:26 AM

It's hard to argue with that list! I own and use 'Trout & Salmon Flies of Ireland' by Peter O'Reilly, particularly for its coverage of the many varieties of Irish shrimps. I don't have the Mann & Gillespie book, and this may perhaps cover much of the same ground. 'A Guide To Salmon Flies', by John Buckland and Arthur Oglesby isn't bad as a general guide to patterns, though its coverage is broader than it is deep.

Incidentally, I see in the latest Trout & Salmon that Chris Mann has a new book out on hairwing and tube flies, described as a companion volume to 'Shrimp and Spey Flies for Salmon'. Might be worth a look.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:11 AM

Funny thing about the Mann and Gillespie book.They have included some of my patterns in there ,without the courtesy to invite my (and a few others)approval/comments/permission , and furthermore never even bothered to forward a free copy. .enjoy the patterns though !
cheers

Last edited by Salar-1; 10-31-2004 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:08 PM

Library Card?

So Flytyer, when do you plan to start issuing library cards?
Old 10-31-2004, 02:09 PM

Hair-Wing Atlantic Salmon Flies by Keith Fulsher, Charles Krom
Old 10-31-2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardener
I own and use 'Trout & Salmon Flies of Ireland' by Peter O'Reilly, particularly for its coverage of the many varieties of Irish shrimps.
I would also add from the same series Trout & Salmon Flies of Scotland by Stan Headley and Trout & Salmon Flies of Wales by Moc Morgan.

http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi
Old 10-31-2004, 07:17 PM
Pullin' Thread

Pete,

You'll have to get your own copies the old fashioned way by searching them out and purchasing them. Only thing wrong with doing so is my wife keeps asking me how many more books I need whenever a new title gets delivered.

Salar-1,

I know what you mean. I've had someone do a book on flies, included some spey flies of mine taking credit for them to boot! This happened after I gave a fellow I met on the river a few flies when he asked to see my fly box. Two years later, he had his book out and included the flies I had given him, which he claimed as his complete with the unusual winging technque I used on them.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:28 PM

Russ has compiled a great list, hard to add to it.But if I had to add a few it would be " fly tying for salmon" by Taverner if you can find it and "how to dress salmon flies" by Hale. They are old script but lots of good info in these two for the Salmon tier.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:52 AM

All of the above do have some value for fly tying.Of all of them,two do stand out in that I continuously go back to them for info/inspiration.#1 would be Combs' book "Steelhead Fly Fishing". I have found it an excellent resource for Atlantic salmon flies. Took Lemire's Golden Edge Orange ,Changed the body to Chartreuse and the result was a decent Atlantic fly for Gaspe. Tyed up Van Demark's Creme de Menthe ,with a slight variation , this summer and it didn't turn any fish on.Will give it one more try next year. Worked for GL Steelhead though
#2 is a book that Grahame mentioned ."Trout and Salmon Flies of Wales"There's some really nice subdued patterns portrayed in there
Cheers

Last edited by Salar-1; 11-01-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:00 PM

A good one to have if you are going to do some Atlantic salmon fishing is “Modern Atlantic Salmon Flies” by Paul Marriner. Keep in mind that this is a book of patterns designed for fishing for salmon. And while it is not heavy on technique (flytyer has listed all the books you will ever need for that), it does showcase the creations of some of today’s best Atlantic salmon fisherman and some very innovative flies. Tiers like Jerry Doak, Warren Duncan, Brayant Freeman, Mark Madore, Jerome Malloy and Mark Leblanc are featured, along with a few others I am sure many of you will recognize when you see them. Definitely a cool book.

Charlie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.