Problem with Spey Line - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2004, 07:26 PM

Problem with Spey Line

I'm a newbie to fishing with a spey rod. Have had a Sage 14' 9 wt. for about a year. One of the reasons I haven't fished it much is that the line I bought with my set up - an Airflo Two Handed Multi-tip - has been out of commission. Last winter I was fishing on the West side during a snow fall and the line cracked immediately below the loop weld (on the main line, not the tip). The fly shop I bought the set up from replaced the line without cost, but it took months (like 3) for them to get a new line from Airflo. Recently, the exact same thing happened, this time on an Eastside stream in sub-freezing temps. I don't know if this line is prone to cracking at the loop weld in sub-freezing temps or if there's something about my cast that is putting too much stress on it, but needless to say I'm sort of losing confidence in the line. I'm guessing that if I go back to the fly shop they will get me a new line, but I'm not sure I want one if it's just going to crack again during the time of the year when I most inclined to fish a spey rod. I'm trying to figure out if there is a home remedy for this problem, because other than the cracking problem I like the line. If I were to cut off the loop and loop weld and make my own loop at the tip, is that going to adversely affect the castability of this line? (Airflo boasts that because the loop and loop weld is made out of the same material as the line itself, it eliminates hinging.) If you think this would be a satisfactory solution, how should I construct the new loop? On a shooting head system I built for my single hander, I've exposed a little bit of flyline core at the tip of a floater, looped back to form a loop and held in place with tying thread, a little superglue and some pliobond to smooth things out a bit. Is there something better than that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Make it a double!

Cut it! Use 50# mono for your loop. If Homer reads this he will post how to do it step by step. I am at work right now and don't have time. PM me and I can show you in person tomorrow at Aaron's place if you want. There are plenty of people on here who are good at this kind of stuff.

Click here for cool art from the NW

Last edited by Big K1; 10-30-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Junkyard Spey

I agree with Kevin. Chop it off and loop it yourself. It is easy to do and as Kevin says there are a lot of people around your location very good at the process if you need help. The part I don't understand is why it took like 3 months for your fly shop to get you a new line from Rajeff's. They should have had you a new line in 3 days max or sooner.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Jolly Buddha

LOOPS

I use 50 lbs. Braided Mono for my loops. My loops are about four inches long, one inches is doubled over. So you have a loop and “1” off double braided mono and “3” of braided mono.

I strip about two inches of coating off fly line.

Using a darning needle, go through the center of the braided mono though the doubled braided mono to the loop. There you should have a “1” inch tag (core) hanging out, use tying thread so secure both ends of the loop and clip of the excess tag ends of the core and thread. Then coat it with rubber cement (I use Aqua Flex) and you’re finished.

I have a tuff time righting this stuff out!
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0461 (Small) (Custom).JPG
Views:	343
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	3930  

THE NEWER CHIEF of E.P.

Real Steelhead Don't Eat Pellets!!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:40 AM

Many thanks, Brian. I may be back to you for some clarifications, but in the mean time, where can I find this 50 lb. braided mono?

MJC - I have no idea why it took the fly shop that long to pry loose another line. I was told that Airflo was coming out with a new version and I ought to wait for the new version. Since the rivers I fish most shut down after the end of Feb, I only missed out a month or so and made do with my single hander. Then it was time for late winter trout fishing on the Yak, so I didn't think about it much. But the shop was clearly foot-dragging, and after I made a bit of a stink (I wanted to fish the Skagit in April before it shut down) it was amazing how fast a new line showed up. I'm a pretty easy going guy, but people often take advantage of that character trait. Kind of bothers me that this shop would take advantage of it since I've dropped many hundreds of dollars there in the last few years. Needless to say, they won't be landing any of my big purchases in the future.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Make it a double!

Aaron at riverrun has 50# braided mono.

Click here for cool art from the NW
Old 11-02-2004, 06:00 PM

Gracias, K1.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Junkyard Spey

Hey o mykiss...

Did you get my PM?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:14 PM

yep, sorry. just pm'd you back. mostly been locked on to following election results this afternoon so was a little slow to respond.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.