Rhody Bones - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2004, 06:10 PM

Thumbs up Rhody Bones

I was pleasantly suprised for find there are still bonito in Rhody.

Weather was not as forecast, that's unusual

I woke up very early this morning and am too tired for a full report but pics and a report will follow.

Get to Rhody if you can, there is plenty of action in the surfline for bass and the blues worked in toward the beach a few times too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2004, 06:23 PM

Saw a couple of flyguys in a boat hooking up close to shore in Rhody today but the fish were out of range for a single handed rod. Perhaps a two handed rod would have reached them. Got two shad so the skunk was put off. Wind made it difficult to cast from shore. FishHawk
Old 10-29-2004, 07:59 PM

Here's my view:

My alarm went off at 4:00 am. It was 37 degrees out ad I had to drive 2 hours south to try to extend the season. I had one of those moments "What the bleep am I doing?"But Jim Whelan had ivited me out on his boat with Chuck and I just had to do it in spite of the 11 Red Sox games I had been through.

We met at the ramp and headed out. Another friend of the forum, Jared, was also out with his boat so we teamed up a bit. We rounded the corner and saw birds working. For the intro we were served up American shad and Schoolie bass in the inner harbor. That was fun and lasted a good hour tops. Then we decided to head out to the big water (of course the 5 kt wind forcast was off, more like 15. We slogged through the rip/chop around Napetree point and saw birds on the beach front. Jared was already working them over and land a nice striper close to keeper size. There were a few other boats. We worked that situation for a bit and then noticed a mega blitz off of Watch Hill light. It turned out to be blues. We spent an hour or 2 on them and got our fill of finicky blues. We kept an eye toward Miscamecut (sp? you can tell I'm not from Rhodey) Beach. Though we were under 50 birds and breaking fish we motored away to check out the 6 gulls moving up and down the shore line.
There was a school of fish heading for us. We cut the motor. As usual I stuck to the flies and was really struggling under the almost November seas and wind. So Chuck let a spin cast rip and hooked up. After a big fight to our suprise up comes a 7+ lb Bonito!!!! As we were untangling the mess, all 3 of us were digging out of a moment of madness getting squared away with the boated Bone when blam a 20 foot circle of Bones explodes 30 feet up wind from us. I thrashed my rod in their direction, the fly caught on the boat, seconds later I freed
it , cast and blam the wind blows it right back in my face, and they were gone. This pod strafed up and down 100-200 yards from the beach for a couple hours (with long periods of staying down in between slashing sessions).
Jim nailed one later, and another for Chuck. These fish were all in that 7 lb category!
That was a slam for Chuck. After that we motored back beat up and tired but smiling.On my way back I swung by Weakapaug, but took one look and didn't have the spirit to hit it. Some photos to follow.

Thanks Jim and Chuck for am awesome day.

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty; 10-29-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Fly chucker

Good stuff guys!

I look forward to seeing some pics. If that was the last trip of the season for any of you, I'm glad that you got so much action.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:22 AM
resigned

I fished the shore at Panic Point in Weekapaug Friday morning in the rocks. Got a dozen or so twinkies early. Lots of birds out of reach. Surfcasters were scratching their heads and all complaining about small fish. Heading back out late this AM for my last try for this season. Maybe i'll get lucky as a birthday present on Red Sox day! Going to start at Watch Hill and head east.

Phil
Old 10-30-2004, 07:35 AM

Think I saw you guys at Napatree. I was the lone angler on the beach. The fish were just out of casting range for me. Great report. NOAA got the weather completely wrong. Could have used a two hander. Saved the day with two shad caught .
FishHawk
Old 10-30-2004, 10:28 AM

Here's the pics. We missed a lot of good shots with the camera since it was so snotty. On the incoming tide we got a look at some monster white water off in the distance at Sugar reef. Chuck caught an 18" bass that was chopped in half by what we think was a huge blue.

Wish I had hung around to catch Weekapaug at dusk but cold and wet started to take it's toll. This is probably the last boat trip of the year for me and I'll remember it for a long time. I had a great time fishing with you guys. Terry spotting the small set of birds and convincing us to leave the big blitz mad the difference between a great day on the water and one of the best I've had.

Thanks man, can't wait to do it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm ChuckBonito4.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	3931   Click image for larger version

Name:	sm ChuckBonito1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	3932   Click image for larger version

Name:	smJimBonito2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	3933  
Old 10-30-2004, 10:31 AM

One more pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smJimChuckBonito.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	3934  
Old 10-30-2004, 07:37 PM

great pics

Great pics.. Beautiful fish. If you kept them, hope they were enjoyed. I would have eaten some of that sushi right on the boat with some soy wasabi.

Thanks

Bob
Old 10-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Jim,
They really are a beautiful fish aren't they? I would rather catch them then Albies any day of the week, unfortunately they are all too scarce most of the year. Did well last year with them but this year they have been elusive to say the least. I am ecstatic for you guy's, it is always nice to see a trip come to fruition and end out like you hoped it would and better in your case. Too often you hear of guy's travelling far to a place they are not familiar with and going home empty or unhappy, it is awesome to hear a report of guy's going and doing exactly the opposite. Awesome.....Awesome......Awesome for you guy's could not be happier for you all. I only wish I could have gotten into some of dem dare bones myself. I still think there is several more weeks of action left in the R.I./CT. scene and I have had some of my best fall fishing in November in these waters. So those of you thinking about hauling might want to wait just a bit longer as you may regret pulling her too soon.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:28 AM

Bob, I took a bite of belly meat while filleting, about 10 minutes after it was tailed. My wife had gotten me a sushi kit for Christmas a couple years back, it was put to good use yesterday.

Mike, The pictures are good but they don't even begin to show the colors of the fish. We should have gotten a head on shot of Chuck's first fish, that was one fatty. Thanks for the heads up on the November scene, I'd like to get down there at least once more, most likely a shore trip but you've got me thinking about extending the boating season. I've followed your posts on this board and others, they've given me some idea of what to expect down that way. Artís post about Sugar reef could be a lifesaver for many, I was in awe at the size of the surf out there on the incoming. You could be sitting in a 2í chop on the outgoing and get one heck of a surprise when the tide turned.

My only regret is that I didnít hook up on the fly rod, but on the other hand Iíve got another first to look forward to.

Chuck, Glad you brought the camera, you have redemed yourself for the fiasco shown at the end of This Thread
Old 10-31-2004, 06:49 PM

Jim, Chuck - way to go!

Nice fish dudes!

You got the blood flowing, and now I'm going to have to head down there to fish this Friday - hope they're still there.

Jim - want to thank you again for allowing me to fish off you boat at the Bone Clave. I had a great time.

Let you guys know how I make out.

Any one else thinking of being down there this coming Friday let me know.

TL,

Dave
Old 11-01-2004, 01:26 PM

Dave,
I'd like to get down there again, probably on foot this time. I've never fished Watch Hill and after seeing it from the boat it must be done. Looks like a mini clave is in the works, I'm not sure if I can make it down again this Friday but will try.

Good luck if you go and please do let us know how you make out.

Hopefully someone can get one of these on the fly, if the GD wind would blow less than 20 for 10 minutes we might have a chance.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:37 PM

We were out at 9:00 AM on Saturday. I think we would have done better if we had gotten out earlier, because the Rips seemed to run much better on the Incoming. All the Blues you could want off WH. We played around a little while with Gators up to 7-8#'s. But we quickly turned our attention to exotics & pushed Eastward based on Jim & Terry's Intel. Found No pods of Bonz. Worked our way all the way to Weaky where boats were bottom fishng (Rock Bass & Scup I guess?).

I called home to cheak in & said two things (1) So, far we have only Caught Blues & (2) So, far the weather has not been much of a Factor. Both of these would change shortly! Decided to make a Close Pass to the Weaky Jetty to see what was What. On the way saw a group of about 20 Birds low to the water in the Rocky Bowl to the East of Weaky. Headed over there & sure enough, Schoolie Stripers Banging Bunker. Made Two Drifts Through them & pick up 4 fish ~23". While this was going on the Wind Shifted from SE to SW & picked up another 5+ knots, the rain started coming down pretty good, & the Visibilty went from ~3 mi down to < 1 min

Being aroun 5 miles from WH & about 7 miles from where we launched, we decided quibckly to head back. SW 15+ knts, 3-4 Curlers, steady rain, & low Visibility made it a fun Ride Back. Did manage to maintain ~12 knts (close to min plane speed). I feel as though I pushed my Lund about as close to its limits as I would Like. Never feared for my life but it was more than just a little uncomfortable.

One more Pass at the Blues off WH, which were still there, but not as big or concentrated as earlier. Back at the ramp ~13:00 (about an hour sooner than planned). Soaked to the Bone, but 2/3 of a slam was still a good day for Late October!
Old 11-02-2004, 02:03 PM

Great report Grego. Sorry they didn't hang around. That was a rare find for us.
Jim, where's the picture of the half eatan schoolie? Hilarious!

Lefty

ps: Are we sure the isn't going to be one more blitz on the No. Shore?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.