Ross Large Arbor Reels - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2001, 09:23 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Ross Large Arbor Reels

I had an opportunity to inspect the new Ross Canyon large arbor reels at the Blue Northern booth within the Marlborough show. The reel itself seemed very light and the usual Ross sealed drag system is always a plus.

I'm in the market for a new 9/10/11 weight reel and was wondering what any of the board members thoughts might be?

By the way, Juro, it was a pleasure finally getting to meet you. The hats looked great, and my $50 is in the mail for my silver membership. Also, I hope all is well with your daughter.

~Mark Doogue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2001, 02:43 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Ross Large Arbor Reels

The pleasure was all mine and thanks for asking about my daughter. She's still at the hospital but some possibles have been ruled out so we're feeling very optimistic at this point.

I fell in love with the new Ross LA at the BNTC booth as well... I can usually say 50 bad things about any product, and that's if I like it. I can say two things without fishing it a while on the negative...

plastic drag adjustment... won't stand up to the rigors, but then again you can order two spares from Ross for peanuts and replace them every three years to get ten years of new looking drag knobs. Low impact.

Handle is a faced cylinder, feels a little skinny for cranking lots of backing. I suppose that could also be replaced if it bothered anyone. Low impact.

That's about it!

It looks killer, sounds like an upper echalon reel, solid and light, large arbor, styled porting like mag wheels on black machined bar stock.

I am a whim away from buying it at a moderate $335 retail.

Glad to hear you liked the embroidery and thanks for your support.
Old 01-26-2001, 11:22 AM

The more I think about it, the more I want it!

Check it out <!--http--><a href="http://www.ross-reels.com/Catalog/canyon_main.jpg" target="_blank">HERE!</a><!--url-->
Old 01-27-2001, 12:00 AM

I'm with you.....

It's my next purchase, and a spare spool should do nicely for Father's Day.

And it looks as if I'll need to buy a 9wt RPLXi to attach it too. This is gettin' fun gentlemen.

~Mark Doogue
Old 01-31-2001, 12:35 AM

Mark -

If you'd like to test the rod, the balance with the Ross reel, or other characteristics of the RPLXi, feel free to test drive mine. It's 3pc though - I don't know if you're targeting the 5pc 2001 model or not. I tried it at the show and found the flex point to be a little different than the 3pc but still a great rod and talk about a compact package!

Juro
Old 01-31-2001, 06:16 PM

Thanks Juro, but the rod is already on it's way courtesy of L.L. Bean. I don't know if any forum members realize it yet but Bean has taken on Sage rods and Tibor reels this year. I'm sure Sage and Tibor have great warranties, but nothing beats L.L. Bean's 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Case in point, I sent back my Bean 7wt rod with a check to cover the difference between my rods cost and the 9wt, 3 piece RPLXi that I wanted. After two years of use, and no sales receipt, my rod was magically transformed into a Sage. It's very much like magic, only Maine-iac style.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.