Flies for the following Rivers - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Fly Fishing Newbie

Flies for the following Rivers

I was wondering if anyone had information on what flys I should use fishing the Deerfield in MA, or the Westfield in MA(i think thats the right name . Anyways what would be a good fly for all aroudn really, like if you have info. please say what u have for the 4 seasons. Also theres a local lake here in NJ, stocked with Rainbows, or it was and their still around, heck anyways would anyone know what fly patterns might work, I mean i know nothing about fishing for rainbows, and also, how late in the year can u fish for rainbows, heck thanks for the answers if theres any , PM me if u wanna throw in 2 cents of info, or post it here. Thanks again

!~Po0gs~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2004, 05:51 PM

I don't know about the Deerfield but since you live in Jersey, try Upstate NY and hit rivers like the Neversink and Delaware, Salmon and Oswego. The Neversink has some huge rainbows and brookies, not to mention browns.

Good luck,
Vinnie
Old 10-27-2004, 12:23 PM
10oz. Exile

Location: Lake Eire, Chesapeake Bay, NE and all points in between...
Poogs,

The Deerfield and the Westfield are great rivers. The Westfield, especially around the Chesterfield gorge section, is just beautiful.

I have had luck on the Westfield with big Stoneflies (black, green, yellow) and woolly buggers (same color and size, but try stripping a white or tan on every once in a while).

On the Deerfield I've always done well with pheasant tails, hares ear standard. I've caught some in the faster water stripping a steamer or woolly bugger

I caught fish on both rivers with dry flies, generally something light in color, sized in the #14 - 18 range (parachute hares ear, light cahill).

If your fishing nymphs and the water is up, you need to make sure you get it down. Try a sinking head or a weighted leader. Sometimes itís like turning on a switch when you do.

I fished on these rivers a number of times over the past 5 years when I lived in Boston and would highly recommend the trip, but there are a lot great rivers in PA that should be closer (?)

Anyway, I'm certainly not an expert (some might even call me The Anti-Expert)...I would recommend you check out Walt Geryk's website:

http://www.neffguide.com/index.html

Walt introduced me to these rivers and I recommend him as a guide. The site's reports are a little out of date (probably because Walt's chasing salmon in western NY), but there are some good links on current flow levels. Watch that Deerfield, especially if you fish around the dam! The water comes up REAL quick if youíre not paying attention...

Good luck,

t_will
Old 10-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Fly Fishing Newbie

Well my grand parents live there, and my cousins so its not like its a huge haul really

where in PA is good near philly area, or should i say not west into PA a lot

THANKS A TON MAN!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:35 PM
10oz. Exile

Location: Lake Eire, Chesapeake Bay, NE and all points in between...
P-

About two hours west you've got some of the best trout fishing on the East Coast in and around Carlisle / Harrisburg. The Latort, the Yellow Breeches, et al. A little farther up the road you've got State College. Or you've got the Upper Delaware River. There are also a few nice streams in MD, north of Baltimore (Gunpowder R., etc.) I think Trout Unlimited has published a nice book on streams in PA you should check it out. I'll tell my brother to check out this post, he's much more knowledgeable about locations. I don't know how far your willing to drive, but the 2 hours to Carlisle (South Central PA) is more than worth it as far as variety of rivers to fish (spring creeks, etc.), and there's plenty of fish in the water.

t_will
Old 10-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Fly Fishing Newbie

Thanks again, have a lil more info on the Deleware?, My sis does to UD and really the Dela. River is quite close, one thing i wanna ask do u know how to make the hair on a fly to like stand up and go all around the fly in a circle, if u dont get what i mean, then nvm
Old 10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Fly Fishing Newbie

Also when fishing these rivers is there anything i need besides a lisence , or can i just show up, cast , have fun, and leave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.