Rhode Island Bound - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2004, 10:02 PM

Rhode Island Bound

The surf here in S. Maine looked so big it was scary this evening. Things are really turned up as of 10/23. Mackerel are still around though the water temp was 51.8. One buddy wants to go try some rocks in Rhode Island, possibly catch up some traffic as the majority of the migration seems to have passed to the south of us.

He is willing to bring his 18' center console and try to launch somewhere. If this is the tactic, what launch would be a good option? Any thoughts on where to go and stay a night? We are most comfortable around large rocks/surf and the boat is pretty stable (Maritime)

Thanks for any suggestions

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2004, 11:22 PM
CantAnchorUs

Wind and seas are supposed to diminish tomorrow, south county is very hot now if you can fish. I consider it to extend from Pt. Judith to Watch Hill, a distance of roughly 25 miles. At each end are excellent public ramps, midway are two gravel, fair public ramps at Quonny and Charleston breachways, the advantage of the midway ramps is that they are right there, run the breachway and your in the heart of the migration on the beaches. At either end are great facilities at Pt judith, launch is at Great Is ramp in the port of Galilee. access to West Wall, Pt Judith, Matunick. The other is Barn Is in Stonington, Ct, right on Rhoddy border,access to Ct. shore line, Fishers Is, Napatree, Watch Hill. Watch Hill in Oct, legendery.
May I suggest you contact, RI Dept of Enviro. Management, Fish and Wildlife for thier Fishing and Boating Guide. It`s the best I`ve seen in a lot of years, got everything. Slinger
Old 10-25-2004, 09:32 AM

very helpful

Thanks so very much! It is hard to get the information from other sources that are not "in- touch" with the migration and this is the Rx. If the wind dies and the rollers calm, we are planning Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll take your advice and head for the launches you suggest.

Best to you and thanks again sincerely !

Bob
Old 10-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Jonesin...

Bob,

Be very careful if you choose the breachways, especially Quonny. They take some local knowledge to navigate. For instance at Quonny if you head straight out of the breachway you will run smack into a boulder field. I would stick with the Pt. Judith or Barn Island ramps if you aren't familiar with the area.

Sean
Old 10-25-2004, 08:09 PM

safety

Thanks Sean,

It's looking like Wednesday and Thurday. We'll take it very carefully and slow and keep our eyes peeled. Hopefully I'll have some positive follow up.

Best,

Bob
Old 10-25-2004, 08:10 PM

Good advice Sean-
I'll just add that if you use the Barn Island ramp and/or fish Watch Hill, make sure you know where you are when around the WH reefs at all times. A good eye and a quick yell from a buddy in the boat kept me from getting up close and personal to a rock there a couple of weeks ago.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:33 PM

safety

Thanks TimSt,

We finally paid up and went for a Raytheon 7"color chart plotter and it does help to some degree. I find that in here in Maine, and I'm sure all along the coast, the combination of rocks everywhere and fog coming up quickly made that old GPS really unsatisfactory. It did little except tell me exactly where I was - unfortunately I had absolutely no idea where that was until the cp put it into a reference complete with rocks and widow makers sticking up. Now the rule is slow slow slow. And I still don't trust that thing except as a rough guide.

Thanks again -

Bob
Old 10-26-2004, 10:05 AM

How accurate do you guys find the charts for South county. I MAY get out Wednesday or Friday, probably launch out of Barn Island. I've got a Garmin 182 and find it to be very accurate in my area for most every major rock along the coast here in the South shore area of MA. I would never rely on it exclusively but if there are many uncharted rocks in the watch hill area I'll just not go there since I have no local knowledge.

How about tides and wind? We're looking at a N wind mid week and SW Fri. What kind of suprises am I going to encounter when the tide turns.
I'll probably pass on Fishers and keep to the SC coast covering Napatree to Weekapaug point. I remember being out on Napatree a few times with the fish being well out of casting range, tried to yak out there once but we got blown off the water.

Depending on the feedback, time and work this may turn into a shore bound trip but I sure would like to get into the fish one last time before the long cold Winter hits.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:26 AM

Jim,

I'm also considering a Shore Run to RI later in the week (maybe Sat.)

Was also thinking Outer Cape Shore.

Final Thought was a season closer in my home waters -- B-Bay -- with the boat.

Give me a jingle, if you want to coordinate
Old 10-26-2004, 02:52 PM

YO Grego,

I'm interested but......them Sox games are gonna wipe us out no?
Old 10-26-2004, 03:29 PM
CantAnchorUs

Finally quieted down and I got out in the boat, Napatree was smokin`. Lost count of the just shorts I got with a few blues thrown in. Had to be back for 1 so I had 6 hrs of steady blitz from school to school.
Slinger
Old 10-26-2004, 04:00 PM

Slinger

We're stuck in our offices and you're out on a huge blitz. Thanks a lot pal!!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 04:09 PM
CantAnchorUs

Even worse, I`m compelled by an urge to visit the mountains with my bow, I can`t resist, so I`m off tonight for the Catskills for a couple of days of tree sittin.
Slinger
Old 10-26-2004, 07:11 PM

Steve,
What's the bait down that way right now?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:00 PM
CantAnchorUs

Small, looked like anchovies. I used 2 flies all day, a DNA silverside and a DNA anchovi. I don`t think it matters, just get in front of the school as they`re moving kinda fast.
Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.