Schlappen - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2004, 09:04 AM

Schlappen

I'm looking for how different tyers use schlappen for speys. Speciffically how they deal with the clumping. I have read Shewey's method for burning with bleach solution but am looking for alternatives.

Flytyer, if your out there, you wrote in aprevious post that Gobin had shown you a technique for dealing with this. Can you share or is it a closely guarded secret ?

Gillie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2004, 10:02 AM

Gillie,

I use a simple method to do what you want to do. Put a solution of 50% warm water and 50% bleach in a small dish. Dip the schlappen feather in the solution and move it back and fourth until the fibers no longer stick together, this will only take a few seconds. Then rinse the feather in cold tap water. Very simple and it works good.

Charlie
Old 10-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Pullin' Thread

Gillie,

Until Steve Gobin showed me how he did some 12 years ago, I used Charlie's method. However, the Gobin method can be done with no special tools or the need to soak the feathers at all.

This is how Steve showed me to do it: 1) take the feather in your fingers with the butt facing up toward the ceiling with the concave (dull side) side facing up; 2) using your thimb nail and middle finger pad of your right hand stroke the fibers on the right side of the feather by pressing your thumb nail into the finger pad; 3) do this on nearly all the fibers on the right side of the feather; and 4) then strip the left side of the feather and tie it in by the butt. When the feather is prepared and tied in this way, the fibers will be on the outside of the hackle stem and flow toward the rear of the fly.

The advantages of this method are many. You don't have to bother with preparing any solution to burn the fibers; you don't have to wait for feathers to dry; you don't have to worry about over-burning the feathers or making the stem brittle; you can do it as you tie the flies.

I almost never tie fewer than a dozen of a single pattern and size, so I use this method of breaking down the schallapen fibers to prepare a dozen or more schlappen feathers at a time and simply lay them on my tying table in a small pile. This way I already have the feathers prepared for tying the flies and don't have to break the tying rhythm; thus getting the fies tied more quickly and with more consistency.

Last edited by flytyer; 10-30-2004 at 03:30 PM. Reason: edited by flytyer on 10/30/04 to fix an error he made and make it clearer what happens.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer
Gillie,

2) using your thimb pad and middle finger's nail of your right hand stroke the fibers on the right side of the feather by pressing your finger nail into the thumb pad;.

Is that the tyer's right or the feather's right? Thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Pullin' Thread

Smolt,

Both. If you are holding the feather with the butt pointing toward the ceiling while having the convex (dull side) pointing up, the side you mash the barbs with your middle finger's nail against your thumb pad is the right side of the feather, which is also your (the tyer's) right side.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the description.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Mr. Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer
Smolt,

Both. If you are holding the feather with the butt pointing toward the ceiling while having the convex (dull side) pointing up, the side you mash the barbs with your middle finger's nail against your thumb pad is the right side of the feather, which is also your (the tyer's) right side.

So then when you tie in the feather by the butt, is the convex/dull side facing forward. In other words the fibers are flowing towards the head of the fly, not back?
Old 10-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Pullin' Thread

Philster,

No, In simple terms, when you tie the feather in by the butt, the hackle is reversed from how it was held in your hand when you perpared on side by mashing the barb and stripped the fibers from the other side. And because the feather is reversed, the bare side is against the body and the fibered side flows to the rear.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Mr. Mom

Thanks flytier, just couldn't see it...

I used to test out 99th percentile mechanical reasoning. Now that I'm a stay at home dad, I have to say "Lefty Loosey, righty tighty" everytime I approach a screw
Old 10-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Mr. Mom

Flytier you Dog! (meant in a good way)

The schlappen trick is OUTSTANDING! Looks great in the vise, but in the water the freedom of movement the individual fibers give is fabulous. I've been taking all my old speys out of my boxes and stroking the fibers that clump and it works on them to.

Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Pullin' Thread

Philster,

Glad you found it works so well! When I saw Gobin do this and and then saw how it looked in the vise, I knew it was the method I would use from then on for schlappen on a spey or dee fly. Like most good tying methods, it is elegant in its sumplicity.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:01 PM

Flytyer,

Forgive my denseness, but the phrase "butt facing up toward the ceiling with the convex (dull side) side facing up" has me confused. You describe 2 things facing UP. Can this also be described as the feather butt is toward the ceiling and the convex side is facing the tyer? So that the prepared side that is left after stripping will be on the outside as the feather is wrapped (when tied in by the butt)?

And, in the preparation, the thumbnail is pressing into the convex side of the feather, right?

Sorry for my confusion, but this is a very useful tip, and I like using schlappen!

--Bill
Old 10-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Pullin' Thread

Bill--

You described it exactly in slightly different terminology than I did. If you do as you posted herein, you will have done what I do. And yes, your thumbnail is pressing on the convex side of the feather.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:36 PM

Thanks, flytyer! I'm at the bench today and looking forward to playing...

--Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.