Rods--8'6 or 9'0 ft. - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 11:41 AM

Rods--8'6 or 9'0 ft.

I fish smaller streams in New Mexico. I do make it to the San Juan a couple a times a year. I need advice on proper rod length. I hear a lot of guides in this area moving towards longer 9 foot rods. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 AM

Talking Jdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB
I fish smaller streams in New Mexico. I do make it to the San Juan a couple a times a year. I need advice on proper rod length. I hear a lot of guides in this area moving towards longer 9 foot rods. Any advice?

JDB, 9' is a very versatile length and will work most anywhere if you are a decent caster. It allows you to carry a little more line in a cast, helping to maximize distance and counter the wind. With otherwise identical rods, you should be able to get a little more casting distance with a 9', but that also depends on your casting mechanics...your style. If you aren't into max distance, you might be actually be able to cast better with the shorter rod. Shorter rods generally are more specialized for certain uses (spring creeks, pocket water, small streams, etc) and aren't as versatile. On a practical note, choices for an 8'6" in sizes above a 4 wt are more limited (following the bigger water/bigger rod logic). Bottom line, CAST BOTH, then decide! If it were me I'd see which one felt the best for my casting style and/or go for the 8'6" if all I'd be fishing are smaller streams and the 9' if I was looking for an all-arounder...

Last edited by zugbugz; 12-30-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:15 PM

not many manufacturers do it but an 8'9" rod is the perfect length for an all around trout rod..
Old 12-30-2004, 09:59 PM

Winston makes a couple of sweet 5pc 8'9" rods. I like the 4wt best. A nine footer should be fine.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:17 AM
thread killer

JDB, my home river is what i would consider medium size. the xtra 6 on the 9' is a definate asset when casting from a deep water position. if you do any nymphing it would benefit there as well.

if your primary waters have alot of overhanging limbs or other obstacles inhibiting swinging a rod the 8'6" would probably be a better choice.

i have carried both lengths up and down travelling and hardly notice a differance. some good going with a fair amount of bush wacking involved.

maybe choose a length according to where you spend most of your time. SG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.