Chatham Light, 10/17 am - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 06:38 AM
Middle Aged Member

Chatham Light, 10/17 am

Took a ride down Sunday to test my new DFR replacement. Broke my heart to break that rod but all ends well. Wind seemed reasonable when I left the nearside and the flag at the 132 exit was moving modestly from the south west. Thought about Brewster but continued on. At Chatham, it was cold an blustery. Debated fishing while shooting the breeze with Leon for awhile. Figured it wouldn't be too bad tucked down by the rocks. It wasn't but it was dead and not much water within casting range. Birds and blitsing fish off in the distance. Bird were working down in the bowl out towards big girl so I headed that way. Talked to a plugger who'd gone out just before me and he'd picked up several fish in a short time from the point into the corner, one keeper. He said the birds were working but the fish were'nt showing unlike off in the distance. Fished that stretch for a while with no success. Flow was still out but water was thin by now. Shoulda gone that way to start. Seems that section has been carved out a bit and there's some depth availble. Suspect it might fish well mid tide down for a while. Back to Dennis to pick up my tieng stuff and check the house, then home in time for the Patriots.
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2004, 10:20 AM
President of CAC

Fred...I miss the light house... and might try one more outing down there... as well as off the outer bars...if the tide is right.... Glad you saw and spoke with Leon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2004, 03:25 PM

Fred,
I'm curious, what model did Redington replace the DFR with? I just broke my TFS and they said it's not produced anymore and have offered to replace it with a CPS.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Middle Aged Member

A DFR for a DFR which was a surprise. The DFR was like an extention of my arm. Great rod. The only thing I didn't like about my original was the locking nuts on the reel seat, kinda hokie. The new rod as an updated configuration thats as nice as my Vector. I was afraid they wouldn't have any DFR's and I'd end up with the nano titanium or quartz. The Vector is sweet casting but can't hold a candle to the DFR for all around fishability .

What's the CPS? I'd hold out for at least a wayfarer.

Last edited by FredA; 10-18-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:20 AM

The CPS looks to be their current top model and is supposed to be comparable to the TFS in action and price. Looks to me as if they've dropped the higher end rods but it's good to know they are replacing like for like on the higher end stuff.

The TFS was priced the same as the CPS, the wayfarer is a click in price but I've cast them and like the smooth action.

I've always gotten great service from Redington on warranty work but this is the 4th TFS that's become a 5pc. I guess I'm kinda glad they are replacing it with a different blank. I've fished the T&T vector more than the TFS and it's held up very well.

Thanks for the feedback Fred.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.