The Kindness of Strangers - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2004, 08:26 AM

The Kindness of Strangers

Went to RI yesterday to follow the migration. The surf was up and the fish were there but I could not reach them. Met a surf caster on the beach and we compaired notes. While talking a fish busted in front of us. The stranger cast his plug into the crashing surf but no hookup. We parted company while I tried my luck but I was not able to handle the 6 foot dumpers.
Then from over the dune the stranger yelled at me to come over here. As I crossed the dune I saw a small salt pond with busting fish!! "Give them a try", he said ."Looks like flyrod fish to me." I began to hook up to dark backed migrant fat stripers . There we were total strangers sharing the small pond. Thanks who ever you are. FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 05:35 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Fishermen are Good Guys

Bill, if you weren't a good guy, I suspect he wouldn't have given you the time of day. My experience tells me, that as a microcosm of the real world, people who fish are willing to share information if you ask the right questions and are willing to exchange info.

I've been exposed to a lot of people unfamiliar with an area, and generally share info with them if they ask the right questions and appear to be sincere and interested in the response. I tend to go overboard sometimes, but that is my nature.

I have a good friend that will go the extra mile to insure that, if asked about the fishing, it is lousy - even if it is good. During some epic fishing at night, he told me to quickly bring the fish in with minimal splashing and release them quickly. This was to insure guys in the area would not know we were hooking fish.

Simms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2004, 07:37 AM

Yes Jim I know the type of fisherman. It's all about competition. They can't relax when they fish and must tell you the latest score. Who cares about the score unless your a Red Sox fan. Fishing should be fun and a way to get away from the intense competitive world we live in. That's why I like fishing with you and Chris.
FishHawk
Old 10-18-2004, 10:46 AM

A couple of weeks ago I had put the flyrod away and taken out the surf rod to access some blues which were breaking too far for my modest flycasting skills. I managed to finagle the outer most rock on the jetty and had a fish on every cast. Soon I was being severely crowded by a bunch of surf rats who acted as if catching a five pound blue was their life's ambition. Maybe they had never caught a fish before, I don't know. As a veteren jetty jock from way back, I had no trouble holding onto my rock and continued to catch the bulk of the fish. After awhile I noticed a fly caster who seemed like he might have been a jetty novice. He was hanging way back from the crowd and seemed very reluctant to try and squeeze into the pack. Eventually he gave up fruitlessly casting and just watched in amazment as I hauled fish after fish without a break.
I motioned for him to join me on the hot spot intending to point out that the blues chased my plug right up to the jetty where he could have easily have fed them a fly. He didn't know I was a flyfisher in disguise and seemed embarassed that I singled him out when so many guys were dying to take my spot. He declined my offer and as far as I know, never hooked up. Ever since then I have regreted not insisting he come give it a try.
If you are reading this and recognize the event in question, I just want to say, You shoulda taken me up on it! I would have enjoyed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.