Chestpacks - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 04:57 PM
viking

Angry Chestpacks

undefinedundefinedundefined Hi need advice on a chestpack/backpack, for flyfishing the shores for striped bass, I do a lot of walking and need to carry every thing with me. I have flyboxes, tippet matl. 2 ext reel spools,raincoat, water, lunch ect. Iwould appreciate any suggestions. Thankyou JOHN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 05:41 PM
CantAnchorUs

I bought a chestpack that was big enough to accomodate everything I wanted to carry. Spent the whole winter looking. By the time I filled it I couldn`t see where I was walking, had to crab walk to get around. Totally screwed up my casting, I looked like I`d never done this before. Sold it the next day for half what I paid for it . And now I`m totally pleased with my vest, which holds everything and wears like a second skin, and I carry a lot of s$#^%.
Slinger
Old 10-13-2004, 07:01 PM

A small hydration pack and the sospenders with pockets works for me. Got the hydration pack at wally world for 20 bucks and the sos vest by sterns is well worth the money as safetey equipment alone.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:10 PM

JOHN,

I simpathize with you brother. I now use a large fanny pack made by some fly gear specialty company. It holds all my leader spools in a large back pocket, about 20 or 30 of them ranging from 3ld to 40lb spools of maxima. There are other pockets with varying size and carry the little "essential" tools of the trade...ie camera, pliers, poly leaders and tips. I do not wear it around my waste, rather sling it over my chest so when I need something I simply slide it to the front of my chest. As for flies, I picked up a fly wallet from fishpond and it works so far. However, I go through fly wallets like poop through a goose. I don't think there is a perfect fly wallet or case on the market. Hmmmmm, I need to work on that!

Vinnie
Old 10-14-2004, 06:13 PM

Feel the chestpak inhibits my stripping into my stripping basket in the salt. I use a shoulder strap bag.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:35 AM

Fishing System

John,
Let me have a list, if you would, of all the stuff you carry. I can build you a custom system that will accommodate it. How far do you travel walking? Do you base camp (park your stuff) when you get there? Do you ever overnite or all day, take a beach chair ?
P.M me with this and lets talk

Deerhawk
Old 10-15-2004, 05:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've been using the Patagonia Double-haul lately, a slingtype chest pack with a slim profile. The front compartment is phenomenal and the backpack handy but I find the adjustment not flexible enough for my torso (single shoulder design) and the backpack is not removable.

However it does include a hydration bag holder with thru holes for the hose and is quite comfortable when loaded up with water and gear. The front compartments are thought-out by fishermen and the pack overall gets a thumbs up from my perspective for personal fishing use.

I don't like fanny packs because they get fully submerged when crossing a channel and the full fabric backs on traditional vests get really hot on the flats mid-day while the pockets put all the gear in the way of the arms when rowing or casting.

I find the Patagonia Doublehaul to be a good setup and although I can always find something I would have tweaked I'm glad I bought it.

I use a completely different setup when guiding, homemade combination of chest pack and a waterproof backpack.

BTW - I am working on a line of chest packs with my sister who is a pro fabric designer so you'll be hearing requests for ideas pretty soon. This is her first venture into rugged gear but together we should have some fun with the project. I want this to be designed directly with input from the angler from the ground up so will appreciate your input.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:20 AM
removed_by_request

I picked one up made by Filson, they have 2 models which are pretty nice.

One model is made from shelter cloth (an oiled fabric) the oher is just some type of cotton/composite cloth.

They also come in a regular and super size for guys with larger frames. Best 125.00 I ever spent.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:21 AM

Same Problems

As a self proclaimed fly and tackle hoard I find most chest packs too small, especially when guiding. I carry enough stuff to stock a Hunter's catalog then. I use the Orvis pack w/ the backpack attached and find it ok for most applications. However the main compartments hold two boxes each and the smaller zipper compartments are tough to get even your fingers in to. The back compartments are nice. I couple that with the simms G3 waders with the tippet compartments and zinger attachnment and even then go light. I have the same problem with fanny packs about them getting wet in stream crossings.

My steelhead outfit is worse than trout, I have the orvis pack with four flyboxes, terminal tackle and, the backpack w/ another flybox, sandwich and small jacket and 2 extra spools for my reel. my waders, with tippet, zinger and camara and extra sink tips, fanny pack with snacks water bottles and tools and lines to make stream side repairs of fly lines. I need a shurpa to carry extra stuff.

Why all the stuff? Because two miles from the car with steelhead and salmon in the pool is no time be without anything
Old 10-15-2004, 08:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
I use an Abel fanny pack which adjusts to a chest pack. It holds a few fly boxes, has a patch fro drying flies and room for some tippet, pliers etc. It is fairly limited in what it can hold. I have not had any problems hauling with this on, although if it were to become an issue I would raise my cast and haul above my head on the front haul.

Recently purchased a William Joseph pack for when I go equipment. I have not had a chance to test it yet, but looked at quite a few different packs before I opted for this one.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
BTW - I am working on a line of chest packs with my sister who is a pro fabric designer so you'll be hearing requests for ideas pretty soon. This is her first venture into rugged gear but together we should have some fun with the project. I want this to be designed directly with input from the angler from the ground up so will appreciate your input.
Been down this road many times. Hate, hate, hate chest packs because they get in the way, block vision, and things tumble out of them far too easily. Fanny packs get wet and also tend to sag if your gut is big than your butt. Over-shoulder bags sometimes fall in front of you at the least opportune time, like when bending over to tail a big fish. Chest packs are especially bad for someone casting a two-hander using the underhand stroke.

So here's what I want. A three point arrangement like an old Sam Brown belt. The fishing stuff is on the shoulder strap and there's loops on the belt for accessories if you want to use them. The shoulder strap is actually two, one over the other. The top strap is actually a slider strap and the bag with the fishing goodies will slide easily on it The bottom strap is wider to both provide a cushion and a sliding surface. The bag has a tab on it that rests on your shoulder when the bag is in the stowed position on your back. When you need stuff in the bag, you pull on the tab and slide the bag over your shoulder into into a chest pack position. You then open the zippered compartments (zippered to keep them closed when stowed) and take out your stuff. When finished, you push it back over you shoulder. The lower section of the slider shoulder strap is sewed to the main shoulder strap at about belly height to act as a stop -- the same on the rear portion. The bottom part of the shoulder strap can have loops to hold nippers, zingers, forceps, etc. The bag can be similarly equipped. The tab section of the bag has a fleece patch or similar device to hold flies temporarily -- like when you're changing them. The bottom of the bag is made of slippery material so it will slide over your clothes easily and not grab on things. A zinger arrangement can also be added to the tab so forceps and nippers are accessible, high on your shoulder, if you so wish. As there are many different body types out there, so the bag should have a number of ways for arranging zingers etc. to cater to these differences.

The belt also acts as a wading belt, eliminating the need for a separate one. The shoulder strap has an adjustment fore and aft to adjust for body length. The bag itself is not overly large, having enough room to one large or two small saltwater fly boxes and separate compartments for tippet, plus a mesh pocket that can hold a small bottle of water. Maybe a small compartment for snacks or a small camera. The size of the bag will be limited by what can be comfortably slid past your ear. the bag could also have a fold-over design so that when you pull it in font of you, you can unfold it, giving better access to the inside. Alternately, the bag can be made in two sections with a fold in the middle. This allows a long bag to ride over the shoulder easily and can be made to have the top compartment sit almost on top of the shoulder.

In the stowed position, the bag will not interfere with casting motions plus it will ride high enough on the back so as not to get wet. It won't slide forward when you bend over as the act of bending will tighten the top strap and prevent the bag from moving. With the bag in front of you, all zippers and pockets should be situated for easy access, plus secure in the stowed position so that nothing falls out.

Finally, the over shoulder belt can be arranged either for a lefty or a righty.

Last edited by peter-s-c; 10-15-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Put me on the list of chest-pack haters. Bought a William Joseph, used it once and gave it away.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:29 AM
Jonesin...

I have tried chest packs, shoulder packs, the bandolier style and all of them have their faults. To date my best solution has been to keep flies and anything I need right away in my waders or in my shirt pocket and anything else I might need I keep in a back-pack camel pack which also contains a hydration system. I like to travel light though and try to take what is only absolutely neccessary with me.

Sean
Old 10-16-2004, 08:15 AM

traveling light

Same here, last trip to the cape, I had a box of flies and a bottle of water stuffed in the waders, tippet in a shirt pocket, and forceps etc. on a zinger on the front of the waders. We also used a small backpack to carry lunches.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Peter -

Sounds interesting and practical! I tried to sketch as I read but would rather talk to you off line to get a visual. Thanks for the suggestion.

Et. al. -

Based on responses, you either need a chest pack / vest or you don't. If you are a "hater" then you don't and can probably offer little more than an opinionated blurb to the discussion. However, many people do use them, need them and in some cases even love them - and it's those folks who can offer good feedback to this type of discussion.

Some observations FWIW...
  • Two separate compartments on either side of the chest does not make a chest pack - that's just a fishing vest mounted on chest pack straps. The benefit is weight and ventilation, but it does not offer any clearance for the arms as a center mounted chest pack does (provided it's not too big)
  • I find a centered compartment of proper size (read: not too big) allows both arms extra freedom which is immediately evident to rowers of rafts, pontoon boats, and two-handed casters who don't cast on the centerline of the body. Compared to a Mae West style (big on both sides) a center pack can potentially provide much more room for armrs to move on either side without rubbing, although this certainly won't be the case for everyone
  • IMHO, if a chest pack (of reasonable size) is interfering with two-handed casting then it is probably a Mae West style -or- the caster casts off the centerline of the body. If the compartment is well designed in size and shape (Patagonia Double haul for reference) plus the caster keeps his hands on the casting side of the body as is recommended by many instructors (ref: Simon Gawesworth's trick to hold of the sleeve of the upper hand with the bottom hand) then a reasonably sized centered pack should be comfortable (if all of the above is true). Luckily there are many choices since everyone has a preference and there is no right nor wrong per se.

As a flats guide and angler my chest pack is among the most critical tools I use behind my polarized lenses and breathable waders. If I am not shlepping lunches and water, I don't even need a backpack so I like to remove it. The full fabric design of a vest is the last thing I want on my back in the mid-day sun, and having two split compartments in front means both arms are rubbing when I need to make a quick cast without moving the legs to an approaching pod. It keeps my camera high and dry and ready to capture a moment, and snaps off easily when I need to take a break. It swivels around to give access to the backpack even when hip-deep on a good stakeout. It wears inside the raingear, or outside the raingear without much difference.

Chest packs are obviously not for everyone, but if you ask me it's because most of them are just not designed with the angler's discriminating demands in mind. I personally I can't stand most of the ones on the market today. However, there will always be a need to carry stuff in a handy and easily accessible manner, and for those who prioritize ventilation, mobility of the arms, and configurability an angler's apparatus with straps can be worth looking into given a well-thought thru designed from the ground up (or should I say water).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.