Limeys on the cape alert - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 03:04 PM

Limeys on the cape alert

I will be visiting cape cod from monday for 9 days fishing. It's my first time on the east coast and i'm hoping to get into some stripers and maybe even an albacore. The plan as it stands is, there is no plan. Any advice on where to stay or even what area to head for would be grateully recieved. If anyone wants to meet up that would be even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 05:19 PM

Basses,
My favorite place is Brewster flats also try Hardings beach.
Ashley
Old 10-14-2004, 04:52 AM

Thanks ashley
Is there a fly friendly tackle shop in the area. Is the canal fly fishable if so are there any special tackle requirements. From what i've read it sounds like a bit of a nightmare.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:12 AM

Check out our sponsor page http://flyfishingforum.com/advertising/sponsorlist.htm

Fishing the cape and Nauset angler can help you out on the cape.

If you find yourself in Rhode Island, which might not be a bad idea then check out the Bear's den and saltwater edge.

You will go right by rodbuilders workshop and baymen outfitters on your way to the cape.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:16 PM

Basses,
The shop I recconmend is Nauset angler,you'll get alot of info there,latest catch reports,etc.As for the canal I've never fished it.
Ashley
Old 10-15-2004, 04:17 AM

I know of a very talented UK angler who is a member of the Forum. Adrian is a great angler who might help you out if he has time. FishHawk
Old 10-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Flats Rat

Sorry I missed this - I just got home from Baja I wont be able to get up to the Cape this week-end but from what I read there's plenty of fun left to be had.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Squire animal

Good luck Basses

Keep the British end up... ooer matron!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:32 PM

Basses
As for places to stay,I don't have a clue as I camp when I go over.Did see some small hotels.
Ashley
Old 10-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Squire animal

Ashley

Whats the camping like at this time of year out there with regards weather?

I quite like camping - but it is nice to have somewhere to hang / dry your gear after a hard days fishing.

Camping in June sounds a better and drier option!
Old 10-17-2004, 06:27 AM

I was over on the Cape last month and stayed at the Surfside Motor Inn in Chatham (on the advice of another member of this forum) It's one of the cheaper places in Chatham and only a few steps from the water. It's within walking distance of Lighthouse beach too - a real bonus as the car park at the lighthouse has a 30 minute restriction.

Good Luck,

Tony
Old 10-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Another good lodging option albeit not quite as close to the water is the Stone Horse on rte 28 at the Harwich / Chatham line. Tell the mgr Matt you are with the forum and he'll take care of you with great off season rates.

The tides will be good while you are here, and if you get fair skies you should give the flats a try. The best option is to park at the lighthouse in Chatham and work the beach on the dropping tide, working around the corner to the south (right) until you pass the 'pole'. This is a log that folks erected in the sand about 1.5 miles from the parking lot, and about where the shore fishing on the beach gets more difficult. Cross over the dunes to the inside and look for lighter sand flats reaching out from shore, working south.

You can work these flats several miles to the south and they only get better the more you walk. You need a bright day from 10:30a to 2:30p ideally, and a moving tide with rising tide best. Push as little water as possible when moving and when you see fish do not move the legs or feet when casting ahead of them. Wait and pull the trigger only when they have approached the fly within striking distance, and keep the rod pointed at the fly and down on the surface with zero angle or slack as even the biggest fish will lightly suck the fly and you'll miss takes.

If you don't get good weather, the beach should produce some good fish if you cover a lot of water and keep the fly in play. Without sunlight, focus on the dropping tide and fish into the darker water along the dropoffs and you should find fish blind casting.

The southside beaches offer lots of easy access and can have shoals of fish passing through in October. These spots range from Hardings Beach in Chatham to Red River, Herring River, Bass River, and every little beach in between. You'd be remiss to ignore these beaches in fall as the migration brings the fish within easy reach of these beaches and the action can be outstanding when they really start to move southward.

Another beautiful spot to try is Brewster Flats, on the north (bay) side. From route 6A, take Lower Rd to Robbins Hill Rd and park at Saints Landing. Arrive 1.5-2 hours before the low tide, and walk out toward the orange float about 15 degrees off north from the parking lot and about 200 yards offshore. That marks the edge of a high shoal with good flow where fish congregate during ebb and flood, while providing a visual mark for your return to safety when the tide turns.

From there work the outgoing current all the way out to the end of the middle shoal, marked by a deep channel left to right and a very deep hole straight out (the Blue Hole). This area fishes well thru the drop and start of the flood...

*** but get out of there when the tide begins to flood ***

You should not be out there any longer than 90 minutes after the slack low, in fact you should be fishing your way back to the orange bouy as soon as the flood begins. It's best to fish this area with an experienced local first.

The tide only changes a few feet on the south side of the cape, but the change exceeds 10ft from low to high on the bayside so exercise extreme caution.

This time of year the fish are where you find them, so move around and look for bait and moving water and you're likely to find fish.

The main thrust of the migration had not yet started a couple of days ago when I was on the water but before you leave you should see some heavy bird / bait and fish movements on the back beaches and southside.

The fish will push into every little bay and inlet after the bait so any given day could be the day. I hope you get some bright days to take advantage of the fish that have been pushing up into the flats lately on the flood tide.

Good luck - I'd gladly show you around but I will be on the road teaching a spey class next weekend. Perhaps some of the other forum locals can hook up with you during your stay.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:10 PM

Excellent post juro. We had thought that the best options would be around the canal and that we maybe to late for the flats but you've put us right, though i think i'm correct in thinking the rip ryder has stopped running, so monomoy's out. Still there are some great tips, we've got plenty to think about. Thanks to you and everyone else who took the time out to post on this thread. We'll be leaving on Tuesday morning, hopefully fishing on Tuesday evening, i can't wait.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Squire animal

Anyone seen how the Limeys are getting on?
Old 10-28-2004, 05:50 PM

return of the limeys

We're back and are pleased to report that the fishing, although varied and at times quite difficult was good.
We started off on the southern beaches, Hardings, cockle cove and Red river and it was pretty hot. We got lots of blues to around 10 lb and plenty of stripers to around 12 lb plus a wild card flounder. There were loads of fish blitzing mostly out of range but if they came within 100 yds you were on. Blues were working bunker in close on hardings a gave good sport. Huge bass up to 30 lb were to be seen attacking the blues ( 8-9 lbers) as we played them.
On saturday morning we got into a good bustup and took a heap of fish but no bigguns athough we saw a couple landed. By midday all we could find were fish out of range on hardings and by sunday the whole area had died a death, we blanked.
On monday we headed up to P-Town. We arrived at herring cove at first light and were greeted by a huge blitz with gannets, gulls and bass hitting sand eels. We caught a stack of bass, 50 odd each, all schoolies to around 5 lb.
On tuesday we went back and checked all the south beaches plus a few other spots in the bay but found nothing so we headed back up to P-Town and got another (mother)load of schoolies to 5 lb on sand eel flies and poppers, good fun on the 7wts.
On wednesday we checked all the south beaches and the bay but again found nothing so decided to call it quits and get packed for the flight home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.