Rio's new high density head - saltwater sinking lines - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2000, 12:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rio's new high density head - saltwater sinking lines

Thanks to Bill Senegal (Rio rep) I've been fishing the new Rio sink head / intermediate line combo. My first impression was that the running line was a bit thicker than the others of this style (Teeny, Cortland QA, etc). As I fished it more and more I grew to like it a lot more because it gives you some 'meat' to hang on to as you work the line. Most SWFF applications involve stripping the line for fly action and the more substantial running line is easier to grip.

The albright delaminated the coating over the mono core the first try, but a second try took well and the junction survived a few hard running Monomoy stripers who took lots of backing in the rip current.

My hope is that this line prevents the coating failures that the Cortland QD has been annoying us with lately.

Although it did wonders for my ego, I think the demo line I got is a little short - I was casting into the backing with ease. I'll look into the specs and report on the factory length of the line as it's intended to be sold.

For those of you who are Rio intermediate striper line fans, (count me IN) the running line for this new configuration seems to be the same design.

More to come...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2000, 09:55 AM

RE:Rio's new high density head - saltwater sinking lines

Juro, I'm on the market for a sinking line and this line sounds like it may be just what i'm looking for. My main complaint with the teeny style lines was the runnning line, i like a little more to grab onto when strip setting. Can you give some us some more info on this line? What is it's trade name? is it already on the market, or is your line a demo?

I'd like to get a new line before the fall run really hits and it sounds as though this line may be the ticket if i can get my hands on one.

Thanks
Matt
Old 08-30-2000, 12:46 PM

The line is the Deep Sea, new for 2000. Here's their <!--http--><a href="http://www.rioproducts.com/catalogue/catindex.html" target="_blank">CATALOG</a><!--url-->, and I'll get more information from the area rep, Bill Senegal.

BobD - do you happen to have Bill's email handy? If not I'll get it tonight.
Old 08-30-2000, 04:32 PM

Juro, thanks for the info. In looking at the catalog page for the deep sea it seems that the line is formulated for warmer waters. I do alot of my fishing in maine and i don't think the water in maine ever really qualifies as 'warm'. What water temps have you fished the line in, and how was the stiffness at that temp?

Thanks again
Matt
Old 08-30-2000, 06:26 PM

According to the rep, it is specifically designed for striper fishing (per the striper intermediate line). I will ask him about it's application to colder temps.

I've fished it in moderately cold SW as well as summer warm temps. On the other hand I have fished the intermediate striper line in the cold waters of the pacific northwest, which averages 52 degrees in the spring and fall. It handled well, although I felt the coils acted better on the striper shoals on Cape Cod in August.

Frankly, I never had a problem with T-300 or the 444 QD 325, it's just that the junction between the sink head and the running line seems to always fall apart. IN my opinion, the first one to make a line where that section remains intact for a 2 or more seasons gets my vote. I am hoping Rio is the one.

I'll have better info when I contact the rep.

Juro
Old 10-10-2000, 11:08 AM

Juro, Now that you've had the line for a while and have hopefully had a chance to fish it a bit, could you share your opinion of it with the board? I know it's still to early to tell about the longevity of the head to running line connection, but i never ended up getting a sinker earlier this fall, so i'm still on the market. This line sounds like what i'm looking for, and i got the intermediate striper line a couple weeks ago to replace a cracking SA int. line(see other post). I like the intermediate, and if the sinker is anything like it i think i'm sold

Matt
Old 10-10-2000, 01:01 PM

The "deep sea" lines appear to be the delivery mechanism from cracking running lines, for real. The line does not telegraph the load point as well as the QD Cortland but once you find the zone (paying more attention to things than one needs to with the QD) it throws a good line. I know with a little effort one can get comfortable with it because occasionally it pulls drag from my reel when I hit it just right.

The running line is as susceptible to tangling as any line is, but no worse.

I've landed a number of good fish on it this year and it seems to be holding up. I've inspected the joint and there is no sign of fatigue whatsoever at this point in the season.

It was used from BobP's boat, from the Tip Rip, from Big Girl Bar, from the Ocean Beaches, and from Monomoy. I'd give it a thumbs up rating because of the prospect of being a durable alternative to the QD.

Once again, I found the QD an easier line to cast overall, perhaps due to the running line diameter and the taper on the head portion. Despite this, I give the RIo a high rating because we needed an alternative to having to send the QD in frequently.

This has made it clear that Cortland stands by their products and they also make several other outstanding lines for various situations, like the clear intermediate 444 line - which I love. That line has been my intermediate line choice for two seasons without problems, and it holds a nail knot directly without any fudging around with loops.

More to come...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.