Newbie - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 11:51 AM

I'm hoping that someone can offer me some advice or guidance. I currently live near Lake Michigan. I've fished every chance possible for the past several years. I've landed my share of Salmon, Steelhead, Pike, and even a few Muskie this year. I recently accepted a job transfer that will take me to Twin Falls, ID - near the snake river. I've always wanted to learn to flyfish but I've never had the opportunity or the place. I'm extremely excited to learn anything I can about fly fishing. Can anyone recommend any books, videos, what I should buy to start off, any good guides or teachers, or anything at all? As I said, I know close to nothing about fly fishing and will be very new to the area as well. Thanks for your help -I cant wait to learn a few things!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Pullin' Thread

There are quite a few good fly shops in that area, in fact throughout most of Idaho. The best thing for you to do would be to look up some of the fly shops once you get there, tell them what you are looking for, that you are a beginner, and they will provide very sound advice and get you started in the right direction. Don't worry about them selling you stuff you don't need, just make sure you tell them you are new to it and don't won't to spend a ton to get started. The shops will take care of you because you represent the bread and butter of their sales. A satisfied customer will return and buy more things, an unsatasfied customer will not.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:18 AM

Welcome

Beavye,
You are being transfered to a most excelent area for flyfishing, I am sure you wil not be dissapointed. Flytyer was right, the local Flyshop can be a wealth of information for the novice, and you can usually try out some equipment while you are there. Most often than not, they will rig a rod for you to try outside in the grass, a good way to get the "feel" of things.
Two more tips if I might.
Take a Friday night and go down to the local bookstore, get a cup of java, and grab a few flyfishing books and zines off the racks, and just kick back! There's tons of info in them.
Second, when you get to town and settle in, Look around for a local flyfishing club or orginization to join. Nothing like a group of like-minded individuals for support and info.
And most of all, Welcome to the Forum! The finest group of water-slapers I have had the pleasure of knowing, and we even catch some fish now and then.

Deerhawk
Old 10-14-2004, 01:41 PM

Thanks so much for the advice - I'll certainly give that a try! I cant wait to become involved!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.