Back from the Ronde - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Back from the Ronde

A quick report on the Ronde.

The weather was perfect even with the rain experienced Wednesday night. Mostly sunny with afternoon temps in the mid eighties on some days. River conditions were perfect. The river level was at normal flow. Water temperatures in the low fifties and clear.

Three of us in camp had fish every day. With the average of around 4 fish per day for the camp and some days produced twice as many. Most fish were caught using intermediate sink tips and small dark flies. I did manage to hook up a few times using a floating line. Yes, you heard me right I was using a long bellied floating line on a spey rod. Kinda tough for a true blood Skagit line user.

Both fish hooked while using a floating line were on a steelhead bee fished in the surface film. Unfortunately both fish broke my tippet. Still it was a great experience hooking fish on the surface. I will definitely fish the floating line more. Casting the AST Spey XLT was a new experience for me but after a bit I did managed to get the hang of the longer bellied line and was able to cast it effectively. Hardest thing was slowing the whole casting process down with the XLT. With the short bellied Skagit lines things go a lot faster.

The only negative thing about the trip was a huge increase in the numbers of fishermen on the river. Both bank and floating. I would say a 3 fold increase over years passed in the number of people we saw. I will give the area we fished another year but if the number of people is the same or increases I am not sure I will plan another trip. Some of the people we met were down right rude while most were polite and considerate of each other. Sad that the few jerks I did run across seem to dominate my memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Make it a double!

Kerry,

Sounds like you had a great time. XLT shame on you. How did Homey do while you were there?

Click here for cool art from the NW
Old 10-11-2004, 09:49 AM

Kerry,

Glad you had a good time. Kind of fun eh, to watch the crowd grow year after year. I started going over in the very early 80's and the GR was already crowded.
Funny thing is that after a couple of years I felt confortable about inviting a good friend to come out and fish and after a couple of years he felt confortable inviting some friends out and over those 23 or 24 years I bet there are now 70
people related to the first invite to camp. In 1982 our 3rd year we set up camp at the corral run just three of us and every year after more came. Two years ago I stayed there in October and there were 26 people staying in camp one week and out of that 26, seventeen were related to the first 3 I had invited over the first 4 or 5 years. Talk around the drunken camp fire was that they now had many friends coming out all through October staying at the corral. We are our own worst enemies when it comes to crowds. Just times those numbers I just gave by the majority doing the exact same thing and you have the GR and the SR at it's norm this time of year. You can run but you can't hide!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

OC,

So, you are to blame for the increase in folks at the GR. I don't suppose you had anything to do with the couple of jerk offs I ran into did you?

Seriously it wasn't as bad as I want to make it. Matter of fact the camp I was in last year had 13 people in it, the year before 7, and before that 4, this year only 3. As I said most people we ran into were very considerate. All of the boaters made a point of floating behind us while we fished and respected our water. My only complaint on the boaters were the 2 guys that scared the liven daylights out of me by sneaking up on me while I was concentrating on fishing my steelhead bee. When one of them quietly said hello while floating behind me I almost jumped clean out of my waders. They had a good laugh at my expense. There were a few bank fishermen that had no idea of river etiquette and one guy who thought the road by our camp was his personal off road race track. All in all it was a good trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.