Slammed in Rhoddy - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2004, 10:37 PM
CantAnchorUs

Slammed in Rhoddy

Headed back to the Wall after a week of fishing the Canal. Dumped the boat at Great Island at 5:00 and fished the short wall behind Georges pre dawn, as expected the fish were lined up to feed on bait washed out of Salt Pond. Came dawn and the bite died. Light enough to see well so I scooted over to the West Wall to check it out, nothing but a couple of swirls. Decided to try the center wall and I ran into a bunch of FA`s, the second one blew the handle off my reel again, but I got 2. After that a couple of blues kept me from quitting too early. Didn`t see a thing after 9 and home by12. I think others may be right , the albies are getting scarcer. Time to move down the coast a little. See if I can`t get an albie in 3 states in one season.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 04:54 PM

Yep the tuna seem a little scarce all of a sudden.
Spent the long weekend in South County in order to fish the All Afternoon tides at my favorite outflow.
Three six hour sessions of non-stop casting for one hook up lost to a bad blood knot.

The good news is that there was another species available which did not seem to attract much attention. After trying to park at the WW on Saturday morning it was a very odd experience to pull into the parking lot of one of the busiest fishing spots in Southern New England and find the lot EMPTY!
Even odder considering once I pulled in I could hear fish feeding even while still sitting in the car.
It got really strange after landing several good sized fish and still there was no one around. I even managed to get my backing stretched by something other than a tuna! And NOBODY around to share it. Too bad too. Besides getting in some good fishing, anybody there would have been treated to the sight of large man climbing over the cement railing of a road bridge and jumping to the rocks below while fighting a fish with the rod between his teeth. [That'll teach me to dangle flies off the bridge! ]

Come on people! What's the problem, afraid of the dark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2004, 08:55 AM

My reason for not fishing this year

I went to the doc's yesterday hoping I could get out fishing. Very discouraging answer, no. I tried to take a picture of the xray, with the flash I did get a picture then the battery went dead. Here is what I got, and is my excuse for not being between Charlestown, and Napatree fishing. This xray only shows one break the other is underneath, as the xray is looking from the front of the leg. Because of my age it will be about a year to fully recover. I am really surprised that there wasn't a RI Conclave this year. Slinger you are making it hard for me reading your stoies on your fishing good fortunes. You give me hope for fishing next year. It ain't everyone who can fall off a ladder backwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	legf4.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	3882  
Old 10-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Art,
Sorry to hear that you haven't gotten the ok yet. I bet you'll have one sweet fly selection though when you finally do! I think you deserve a trip to a southern isle to make up for lost time.

Nick
Old 10-15-2004, 01:31 PM

What a bummer Art! Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
What was a man your age doing climbing a ladder anyway? Shouldn't you have been doing something more appropreate, like hiking to Napatree Point or paddling your rubber boat out of the breachway?
Hope you make a rapid recovery and look forward to seeing you on the beach next season.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:42 PM

MikeZ, I was just starting to paint the house so I could start some serious fishing down around the south shore of RI. I was only up about 3 feet, if I was up any higher I would possibly pulled my foot off. There wasn't much holding it on. Rescue wouldn't take me to a local hospital they took me to Providence, am I glad they did. Next year let me now when you are coming down I will try to meet up with you. Three months down nine months to go. Going to miss the outdoors this fall that is for sure.

Last edited by artb; 10-15-2004 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.