Help me choose a reel... - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2000, 02:42 PM
President of CAC

RE:Help me choose a reel...

Juro, the only writing on the Abel is on the drag screw.. very small, tasteful, etc. Don't forget the Tibor is not gold but more like a silver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2000, 03:13 PM

Juro,

I believe that Van Stall omitts the logo brand name on the reel body if you spend the bucks with your name ingraved in it's place. You had better check though.

Rodeo some silver missles out west. Ridem cowboy!!! Yipe Tiyay!

Yep, I was correct. For *ouch* big bucks:

Van Staal is proud to have Master Firearms Engraver Bob Krain of Vermont turn his
craft to our reels. His hand engraving is done with mallet and chisel, transforming a
plain back into a magnificent work of art. Send us your design and Bob will personalize
a reel for you. Laser engraving is also available for all Van Staal Fly Reels. For all hand
engraving, a thirty percent deposit is required. Under no condition can engraved reels
be returned.
Old 11-12-2000, 01:29 PM
Recent Member

Try the Teton and Tioga reels, They do not cost alot and are a great value, They have good drag systems too. My other choice would be an Orvis CFO disc, If it comes in a saze you like.
Old 11-12-2000, 04:14 PM

Juro...Howdy pardner! I've used the Charlton 8550c and it's to die for but the second mortgage might mean more time at work and less time at the working end of a tight line...
I did happen to stumble onto some interesting classified ads on www.flyshop.com and noticed a few ported Abels and an interesting Bauer M7 with two extra spools (the price was quite reasonable).
I've got an M6 and like it's large diameter for a ripping retrieve, light weight, an overall quality...It's a keeper. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Bauer and a few of my friends LOVE them...and it's Spey compatible!
But if you win the lottery and decide on wreckless abandon, go with Jack Charlton's 8550c...
When the airline industry lays off the engineers, fly fishing technology soars and we are confronted with SO MANY WONDERFUL CHOICES!
Regards, Petey
ps
Any thoughts on my Gore-Tex jacket dilemma?
Old 11-12-2000, 04:32 PM

pps
I've got a pal who has an almost new Billy Pate Tarpon for sale...For Juro, special good deal!...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.