Waterproof camera - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2000, 11:08 AM

Waterproof camera

After 19 years my Canon AE-1 died.
I'm looking for a 35mm (waterproof) camera to replace it. I'd like it to be small so I can put it in a shirt pocket.Something that can be used at home or on the water.
Any suggestion would be a help.
Thanks
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2000, 04:01 PM

RE:Waterproof camera

I've no idea about the good stuff but they do make waterproof one time use cameras.

Gregg
Old 07-26-2000, 04:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

This is the one I use... thanks to Nick Svencer's recommendation at the BoneClave. I was using a throw away for all those pictures because I had just burned up a 250.00 camera in the salt water a few days before...

It won't fit in my short pocket but it solves the problem of ruining expensive cameras in the places I need to take photos. Great results too. The information is on the <!--http--><a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/camcambin/cameras/35mm/compact/ssa1.html" target="_blank">homepage</a><!--url-->
Old 07-27-2000, 10:45 AM

Thank's for the link Juro. I orderd one this morning you cant go wrong with a Cannon, the one I have has lasted 19 years with out hitch and it will get repaired it has served me well.
Old 07-27-2000, 06:52 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It always gives me a little joy to come home and wash the salt off my camera after the rods, reels, and gear are done. Just something about it! The underwater shots, although I should take more, are fun too. Good to 17 feet.

I agree though, a little bigger than I would like but the trade offs are favorable. I am going to switch the neon red strap they give you for something a little more subtle for the flats.
Old 07-31-2000, 04:58 PM

http://www.shopping-today.com/Yashica/T4.htm

This camera delivers some very nice clarity and color. However, it's not the kind of thing you want to submerse. I treat it like crap and it constantly delivers.
Old 08-12-2000, 01:15 AM

My favorite is the Nikon Action Touch. This is a terrific camera and I am always on the lookout for them. They are waterproof, bombproof and the pictures are sharp. The only hitch is that they haven't been made for 5+ years. Don't be discouraged. These babys last and I run into them every now and then( about$250.). If you see one buy it. If you don't like it e-mail me and one of my friends will buy it from you. This camera is almost a cult item.
While you search the world over for the Action Touch, get a Pentax Weathermatic. They are water resistand and take very good pictures as well. Eddie
Old 08-25-2000, 11:35 AM

A friend of mine has the Canon mentioned above and he loves it, the only problem is that the film counter is broken, which is supposedly a fairly common occurence but not a huge deal

I just bought a minolta weathermatic dual 35 which is about the same price as the Canon, but has both a 35mm and a 57mm lens that you can manually switch between. I wanted to go with a zoom, but waterproof zooms were prohibitively expensive, so this was the next best thing. I haven't tested the camera yet, but i'll post after the weekend with a report

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.