First walleye on the fly - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2004, 03:35 PM

First walleye on the fly

or "Pickerel' to us Canuckistannis.

Being stuck in Sudbury (Northern Ontario) when I should've been at the Clave on the Catt, I did manage to get in some warm water fishing.

Fishing on the tailout of a small waterfall on the Vermillion river, I managed to land one 20" walleye on a striped bass clouser. I was using a single hander 8 wt. but the area would've been great for a double-hander. Given the depths of the water, swinging a fly on the end of a 300 grain BigBoy over the full width of the river, probably would've gotten me into a few more fish.

Next time out this way, I'll give it a go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 06:01 PM
_

Excellent catch! I've never targeted them on a fly rod and have only caught a few on non-FF gear, the biggest maybe 12" . Thanks for the report!

Q
Old 10-04-2004, 06:53 PM

Fishing for walleye in a lake with a flyrod is gonna be tough but I think that river walleyes, near the tailout of dams and waterfalls, gives us a shot. If we use PNW winter steelhead type gear that gets down fast, then swings to cover a lot of water, we'll have a better chance of getting a fly in their face. I think of them is a being akin to brown trout in deeper lies.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:11 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I was wondering if anyone else ever tried to catch Walleye on a fly. Glad to hear it has been done, even if it is from a river as opposed to a lake. I tried once and caught nothin but weeds. The lake I fished for them in has done a massive stocking of minnows recently to try and increase the size and health of the population. Perhaps now with them used to chasing minnows I can fish for them in areas that are free of weeds.

Tight lines, Greg
Old 10-05-2004, 09:20 PM
tubin' for a bruisin'

Send a message via AIM to flyjkol
I have caught a few on fly all small though. I think itd be better to fish rivers for walleye because of depth and the fish seem more opritunistic, not that consistant though; maybe try lakes in spring during the spawn? I have heard of people catching lake walleye on fly at night or in June as burrowing mayfly hatch.......... just a thought
Old 10-06-2004, 03:42 AM

Walleyes on fly

In our region (no trout/salmon rivers) fishing warm water is the rule.
Wall-eye fly fishing is something not uncommon at all.
Fishing for walleyes is possible all year round with best results in spring and autumn. Belly boating is most succesfull and using fishfinders to find the underwater bumbs and ridges. In winter they prefer deep water (25 ft plus) which is difficult to reach with fly-lines, especially out of belly boats. If you strip the contact with the bottom is too short. In such a case just troll slowly. Stripping speed is from slow to yerky, just imitate their prey. As mentioned in autumn and spring they can be found in shallow to medium deep water. If you catch one you are likely to catch more. Big ones are often solitary. Streamers can vary a lot. I normally use simple ones which can be tied fast and are not a disaster if you loose them. Because if you want to fish effectively you tend to lose many flies: walleyes prefer obstacles, that's were you will find them. Booby's in white and yellow work well. These are no more than a size 4 or 6 extra long shanked hook, two tempex balls in nylon (about 8 mm dia) and a zonker strip on top, leave some tail sticking out, short enough not to wrap around the bend of the hook. The rods we use are in general AFTM #6, walleyes struggle a bit but don't really put up a long fight. To us a big walleye starts at 30-35". If fishing walleyes a nice side catch is the perch (perca fluviatilis). Though not big (up to about 20-25") these fight like boxers. Giving the appropriate tackle a lot of fun too.
rgds Adrian,
Old 10-06-2004, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjkol
I have caught a few on fly all small though. I think itd be better to fish rivers for walleye because of depth and the fish seem more opritunistic, not that consistant though; maybe try lakes in spring during the spawn? I have heard of people catching lake walleye on fly at night or in June as burrowing mayfly hatch.......... just a thought

My son encountered hundreds of walleyes feeding on top during a late evening, June hex hatch on a lake but he didn't have anything with him that approximated a hex.

I plan to make a lot more effort to locate these prime river walleye locations that I have previously passed up. A light two-hander + fast rate, full sink heads will both get me down and maintain contact with the bottom over a large part of the drift, something that I find a bit more difficult to do with a single hander. The two-hander also helps when fishing bankside -- a problem that plagued me on Sunday as the best direction for the cast was also the one with the least backcast room. I was slipping about 10' into the backcast to get good distance, but I couldn't when shooting across the current and that took about 20' off the cast, so I missed covering a lot of good water. I was only contacting bottom over 10' to 15' of the drift, not good odds. My light two-hander and my heads were in the trunk of my car, a 15 minute hike away. I should've gone back for it.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:28 PM

BTW, picked up a small one last week while swinging a purple spey fly for steelies just below the Caledonia dam on the Grand River. Also hooked up and lost a bigger fish that certainly wasn't a steelhead or a smallmouth -- maybe it was the little guy's older brother.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.