Fly Fishing Forum banner

Loop-to-loop or not

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  hnl 
#1 ·
I prefer a 10 turn nail knot for leader to line when the line and core can carry the strain - most braided cores O.K. I generally use 11-12 foot leaders including bite tippit in the Fl surf for snook. The ocean where I live is mostly like a pond and the snook are spooky. My problem with this is that when it's blowing 10-12 from the East I cannot turn over the leader even with a 10wt. I know if I went down to a 5-6 foot leader system - which would be O.K. in a real surf - I would be O.K. BUT I would then have to tie a new nail knot with a shorter leader OR keep the nail knot and go loop to loop from the butt to the rest of the leader and I think loops cause some wind drag and loss of efficiency. And this is my question: while handy, do you think multiple loops-to-loops in a leader causes wind drag - shortens the cast? The reason I think it might is that I now remove the 3D eyes from my EP flies and epoxy on flat holographic eyes, and the difference in casting is dramatic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.