Coquille River? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2004, 09:06 PM

Coquille River?

My sister just moved and is living on the North Fork of the Coquille River (Near Coos Bay, Oregon). Has anyone fished this for stealies? What is the best time of year to fish this? Not a novice, just never fished coastal streams in Oregon before. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hi Sally,

I used to live in the PNW and spent many wonderful days on the Oregon coast with family. I've heard that the Coquille and it's forks has a strong wild population and is primarily a winter steelhead fishery. It looked to be a size that would be quite manageable for even a 13ft spey rod and I suspect when the fish are moving in from November thru late winter/early spring (if regs allow) the fishing for winter arrivals could get pretty hot. Unless I am mistaken I would guess that your sister is a lucky gal if she enjoys winter steelhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2004, 08:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
Coquille River

The Coquille is a great winter stream, the north fork is the primary fishery, and should start fishing in November.

The only drawback is bank access.

Most fish it from a drift boat. A pontoon boat would be great.I dont know about now but some of the land owners would not even let you out of the boat on their property.

Skilly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.