New Gear for 2000 anyone? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2000, 12:13 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

New Gear for 2000 anyone?

Ok - lunch is almost over... fess up about your new purchases for the year. Likes? Dislikes? Too early to tell?
( I assume these reports will be much more intense at the END of the season! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2000, 03:17 PM

RE:New Gear for 2000 anyone?

I'm very excited about underlining a 12 wt rod for fishing heavy structure from shore. Don't know whether I just lucked into a sweet setup, but a 12 wt ('98)T&T Horizon, underlined by an 11 wt Cortland intermediate or a 28' LC13 head works wonders for me. For the first time, I can consistently reach a line of rocks some 80' out, have no trouble at all with large flies, and can easily cast for two hours morning and dawn. (Yes, I am short of sleep lately).
Best of all, I think handling this heavy setup has improved my casting overall. Since it's so heavy, I've been focusing on tightening the loop and intensely playing with leaders to avoid 'wind knots' and fouling the long flies. I was very surprised how much leader butts can influence these points. Another big plus is that shock waves are now gone from my lighter-rod casts (well, most of the time). Understanding and experiencing just how little energy it takes to move out the line os one of the subtler pleasures of this sport.
I wonder if I just lucked into a honey-rod-setup or whether this can be done with most 12 wts? I know it's much harder (for me) with Redington and Penn rods, and have also had a hard time casting the RPLXi 12 like this. Orvis Trident seems to work well. T&T Horizon has a reputation as an ultra-stiff, frequently overlined rod, but there is something about it which makes casting easy. Or is it that I'm just so used to it???

I've had some good-size bass on with it this year, and while it does ovwerwhelm smaller fish, a large bass in rocks is a lot of fun.
Old 05-17-2000, 11:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:New Gear for 2000 anyone?

Sounds like just the ticket for a certain lighthouse and the big fish chop around the rocks. I'm sure these setups will put you into some more of the luck you've had this spring as the season progresses.

Are these the same setups you use offshore for big scary fish like tuna and shark?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.