SKUNKED? (Deerhawk?.....NO!) - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2004, 10:42 PM

SKUNKED? (Deerhawk?.....NO!)

Good evening,
I have to tell you this story, I'm sure at least some of you will be noding your heads......
I am fortunate to live here in Oregon, part of the Great Northwest! It is home to many 5 Star, Blue Ribbon fishing venues. I am thankfull each and every time I get a chance to venture out into those waters.

But even the 'old Hawk gets Skunked.

Watching the weather all last week, the "Gurus" pointed to the screen and said "See, this weekend is going to be beautifull", and with that, I decided to travel.
Now, most who know me understand that I think nothing of driving 100's of miles to throw bits of Turkey feather and Deer fur tied to hooks, into holes filled with water, in hopes of catching some unsuspecting finned creature that has temporeroly lost his faculitys and thinks that this thing on the end of my line is really food! After which, I look at him (or her) longingly, GENTLY removing the hook mind you, while quietly whispering something like "Go get your old man", and let them go.
Yesterday, was one of those days.
With a day-old muffin, luke warm cup-o-joe and a box full of flys, I was on the highway. 4 am. Headin South.
The "Fog and low clouds" that were suppose to "Burn off by mid-morning" were thick as pea soup, and wet! But those of us who live in the valley come to accept this as normal.
Buuuuut, it got worse!
And, it began to rain
And the fog got thicker!
It was like the Scotish Moores, it was as though you were floating between 2 broken white lines!
Bridges came out of nowhere, and I hoped that no one was broken down ahead.
Very Steven King-ish, UGLY!
After 3 hours of driving, I turned off the Highway and started up the river. At this point it was daylight and the further I drove the brighter it got untill the clouds finally broke into blue sky, beautifull!

All riged, and on the water, I began to feel the concentration of flyfishing take over my mind and body......ah, relief!
Then, after a few casts, the wind started. Small, light gusts at first, morning stuff you know, the kind that catches your cast mid-way. But there was that tell-tale "up valley" trend that was familiar to me, and each gust got a little stronger..... and stronger..... and longer in duration.......
Untill you can see the undersides of the leaves of the trees on the bank, hear the "whoooosh" in the firs, feel the spray off the riffles.......untill you are having a hard time keeping your hat on!
I had begun to over cast, first 30 degrees, then 90, then 180!
I started catching things like....branches (oh, lots of them!) Lichen, Waders (my own), Big yellow leaves.....
I finally gave up casting altogether, and started leting my fly drift downstream then retreiveing it! "Whats up with this?" I was asking myself. The clouds I had left in the valley were now obscuring the Sun. "Thats it, Im moving" I said. And with that, I drove upstream about 5 miles to try to find an end to this. And I was successfull.....to a point.
The drive had afforded me much less wind, and bright sunshine once again. Back on the river, a few more casts even brought some meaningfull rises and strikes. "Now this is more like it" I said, and settled back into working a series of pools and riffle sections.
I wish I could say that the adventure ended here.....buuuut no.
Working the N. side of the river. there was no casting from shore, but there were boulders well placed and easy to wade to! I would just chose one, wade out, climb up and cover as much real estate as I could. I was now about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile up stream from where I had come on. In front of me was a large rock out-crop about the size of a small 1 room cottage. These obstructions are not unusuall. Most often you have to climb over them to continue on, but this one had a series of stones at water level that looked like they would give you access to the other side, one even looked like it might be suitable to cast from.
As I started to make my way around the out-crop, I was being mindfull of my hand holds and footing.
Suddenly, I heard a woman scream!
Startled myself, and trying not to fall into the river, all I saw was a blur of body parts and clothing!
Apparently, a cpouple of "Sun worshipers" had chosen this secluded rock to have there Saturday "Rendevous"
Unbelieavable you say? No!
Quietly saying"Sorry", I gingerly made my way back around the rock, stage left!
By the time I had reached the truck, the clouds from the valley had moved in, and as I drove down the river, it began to mist.
I made a few more stops with no luck, then decided to cut my losses and head home.

Fishing trips are always interesting, from the big catches with a group of friends, to the evening hatches by yourself "Hammering Spots".......
and EVERYTHING in between, if you know what I mean!
Hope your weekend was profitable, and somewhat normal!

and I remain, with blinders on and 5 weeks left in the season.....

Deerhawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 03:00 PM

I can 'relate ...'

Since hooking/loosing 7 in three mornings on the North Ump, it's been a BIG GOOSE Egg ... till yesterday morning. Skunk is finally OFF!!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:38 PM

Bingo!

Fred,
Did you stay at Susan Creek? I was in 22 Sat. but left after all this. I will be bumed if you were, and I did not take the time to say Hi.... Sorry, I was dazed and But you were there man, you know what it was like
Glad you were able to put the Skunk down!
Next time

Deerhawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.