N. Tip S. Monomoy Trip 9/26 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2004, 07:45 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
N. Tip S. Monomoy Trip 9/26

Incoming tide today, eight guys, Jim S, CSJ60, Skiman, Grizz, Adrian, Double Haul, Skiman, & Bert. .

We banged fish early on he incoming, but not as well as yesterday. Outgoing was also not as good as yesterday.

The higlhlight of the trip was Adrian who went to the west flats and began to see fish on the flats. He landed five, a couple of keepers, and lost several that were good fish. He indicated that there were a lot of fish on the flats. We should have followed him onto the flats.

A couple of blues caught near the southway. Once 0 inch fish kept for the BBQ.

Good weather, good time and great bunch of guys.!

Alas, this was Keith's last trip for the seaon. He did good for us. Send him an email to show your support for his gracious demeanor for the members of the frorum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Fly chucker

Ditto what Jim said. The fishing was off, but I had yet another opportunity to meet some new faces:

Craig
Pete
Tom

Things looked like they would open up for us again fishwise early on (bait, sand eels, and a few fish within the first few casts), but it just didn't happen. I should have trusted my instincts and followed Adrian out onto the flats.

Thanks again to John for everything....the mayor's reputation continues to grow!

Of course now that we're off the island, it must be absolutely crawling with fish.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Flats Rat

Sure was great to see everyone especially the new faces. Yesterday was tough going on the flats and I only managed one fish. Today looked like it was going to be worse first thing this morning. Low clouds and the wind honking out of the NW made the flats seem like a remote prospect - of course I was forgetting how quickly the weather can change on Monomoy - this time for the better.

Working the drop-off point ...

Someone is in!

It's Jim!!

Bert took a walk down the East side to check out the Southway and Mark and I decided to follow. There were blues busting at the edge of the flats on the opposite side and Bert had seen Albies busting in close earlier. I decided to carry on South to check out the surf but it was a bit too high. I crossed over to the West side and came out at Hospital pond. I had to stop for a while to enjoy the view...

Out on the flats I saw a fish break across in the channel and shortly after a 30+ inch striper came gliding by. I almost missed it but took a chance at the "going away" shot and to my surprise, the fish slowly turned, opened it's big mouth and the game was on

There were fish all the way up to the North tip and out on the the flats. Not the 'biblical' schools of the spring migration but plenty enough to make the long walk worthwhile. I finished up with five, lost a couple more and blew more chances than I care to remember. One fish that spat the fly looked like it would have made the forty incher I had at Quonny earlier this year look small. It's four pals were equally impressive!
Old 09-26-2004, 10:45 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Last trip???

jimS- hope you're wrong about this being the last trip...was hoping for one more trip in October before the Rip Ryder hauls anchor for the year. If not, then I'll just have to focus on waterfowl until the Spring Clave...QUACK...QUACK...
Doc Shep
Old 09-27-2004, 04:32 AM

Way to go Adrian. Fishing the Flats is not easy and every fish you get is well earned. There is not place like the Flats. Nice way to end the season.
FishHawk
Old 09-27-2004, 09:36 AM
President of CAC

Thanks for Posting the Report Jim...I was hoping you guys had a better day... anyway a great venue.... Thanks for the help.... and Mark and Bert and Adrian... there we were saturday night ...you guys going to bed early in the middle of the Sox game and me falling asleep in the chair after you guys went to bed...missing most of the end game. Now that Keith is stopping the run...it looks like a walk down the street to Ridgevale Beach or a drive to Hardings for me to "wait" for the FA's to show up. Early morn... then Dusk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.