Fly Fishing Forum banner

Spey lines

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I thought it would be good to note what folks are using for Spey line configurations for future reference. It'll take a little while yet to get the SQL stuff under the Expertise pages going so while the spring season is still underway I thought I'd ask for people's line preferences for Spey lines. I wouldn't dare ask for anyone to disclose any secrets of course, but for the record:

Winter/Spring:

(1) 10wt 15' Sage 4pc: Mike Kinney Head system with 10' 10wt belly extender and 15 foot sinktip (came very close to buying the accelerator at Port Angeles after talking to Tyler!)

(2) 15' 8/9 IMX Loomis 4pc: Same without 10' 10wt extender

(3) 13.5' 7wt Sage 4pc: Rio 678 Windcutter tip system

Summer/Fall:

(1-2) 15' big rods: DT floater cut above the taper for tips (plus the above sinktip lines on rare occasions for high or fast runs)

(3) 7wt: Windcutter with floating tip mostly, or DTF

Still considering other lines all the time, and vow to be fully tuned in by the fall visit. I was uncomfortable not being able to cast during the spring visit and will be experimenting much in the interim.

One last note: The two-handed surf rods are casting better with pronounced head-style lines and there will be a lot of choppin' going on during the season while I try to find the single back cast full line overhand config for these new rods.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.