First field report on Monic Fly Lines - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2000, 06:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to BobD Send a message via Yahoo to BobD
First field report on Monic Fly Lines

BNTC picked up a few of the Monic fly lines before last years fly fishing shows. I managed to get a demo line from the rep a WF3F. My first impression was that I wished they made a double taper in the lighter weights. I prefer to use slow action rods for my trout rods and thought the the weight forward was a bit much for my 3 weights and I tested the line on them all. I choose a bright sunny day at the swift for my testing. The line does disappear once it hits the water which made line control difficult. Where is my line? When should I mend, etc??? I also purposely casted over light colored bottom to see if the line casted a shadow on the bottom although the shadow was not as visable as a solid line there was still a shadow cast along the bottom which I used to mend and control line. The other issue I had is that with the coating you must attach backing and leader connections using either an albreit knot or one of those slip on braided leader loops. If you choose the later be sure you whip finish at least two times and apply some zap a gap. It anyone would like to try a WF3F I will gladly donate mind to the testing pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2000, 10:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:First field report on Monic Fly Lines

Awesome report Bob! Clever bugger that you are, I can visualize you using the shadow to track the line.

I left the 9wt Intermediate in the freezer overnight like Bob Goodale insisted, and it came out supple by the time you could strip it far enough to cast. Let's just say I have faith that it is a good cold water line

He also sent an ivory 5wt floater, cold water (freezer-proof) which is in the "pool" if you (or any Forum member) are interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.