Tuna....the BIG Ones - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Flyfishing Guru

Tuna....the BIG Ones

Okay....So, Monday I'm leaving for a couple of days Giant Tuna fishing out of Cape Cod. We'll be using 130's and maybe 80's, but I just can't stop myself from bringing my 14 WT and 12 WT outfits. What's up with that? My buddy told me not to even bother, but I'm thinking, "Hey, maybe we'll see some schoolie yellowfins on the way out or back.". Anybody have any experience with the larger tuna species on fly? I'm thinking they couldn't be much more powerful than a 150# tarpon on an 8 WT. I know they are speedier, but what's the story on nailing one on fly? I'm thinking it would be a good stress test for my Van Staal reels and custom rods. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2004, 11:25 AM
President of CAC

Absolutly...bring them... there are reports of plenty of school Blue fin also. You might even run into a school of skip jack Tuna and will wish you had the fly rod handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Flyfishing Guru

Thumbs up

Also.....would my standard tarpon flies work or should I tie some specific pattern? Any ideas would help.

Thanks,

Old 09-22-2004, 12:26 PM
President of CAC

No...big deceivers....Sedoti Slammers...White /Blue or all white.... also..Trey Combs Sea habit Bucktails ...with flash.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:49 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott

I'm thinking they couldn't be much more powerful than a 150# tarpon on an 8 WT.
Hey Capt,

If you lucky enough to hook one around a hundred pounds or so i'd agree with you. But since BFT can go to 1800lbs, you might find them to be alot more powerful.

Good Luck and tight lines,
Greg.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Flats Rat

Tuna also have a tendency to go deep once hooked. In fact they don't just go deep, they go very deep. 10-12lb yellowfin on a 13wt run a lot of backing and end up under the boat. Getting them up was tough. In shallow water these would be a blast on a 9wt. Over deep water (1000ft just outside of the harbor at Cabo) the 9wt would probably end up in bits.

I can't imagine what trying to lift a 300lb tuna would be like without a specially designed stick that was up to the task.

I agree that tarpon can get pretty dogged also, but they are usually hooked in shallower water.

Don't forget the sashimi

Old 09-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Flyfishing Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD
Hey Capt,

If you lucky enough to hook one around a hundred pounds or so i'd agree with you. But since BFT can go to 1800lbs, you might find them to be alot more powerful.

Good Luck and tight lines,
Greg.
I wasn't planning on going after the GBT with fly, but just in case we run into YFT that I would give her a throw. I have a buddy that's building up an 18 WT on a Cape Fear Hexogonal blank for larger pelagic species. Can't wait to hear how that turns out.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Law Student

Send a message via AIM to brooklynangler
Why not winch???

I'm always perplexed about how rods will be broken with big fish--- how about not using the rod as a lifting device and rather use the reel as a winch???

I get carp into the 30lb range on 4wts and this is the only way to land them...not sure this scales to schoolie YFTs, but...

Also, is that Cape Fear blank actually a fly blank??? I've seen them and they are VERY cool. Kind of like a better engineered Hexagraph.

Cheers--
Old 09-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Flats Rat

Breakages occur when people high-stick - especially with traditional fly rod blanks which were never designed for "lifting" fish. The problem with Tuna is when you hook them over deep water, they innevitably end up "under your feet". Its a bit like the difference in the gym between straight-leg deadlifts and the rowing machine. Its easier to exert leverage from the reel when there is an angle between you and the fish. When it's immediately below you there is very little leverage without some assistance from the rod. When you get into the realm of 18wts and above I agree that the definition of "fly casting" has become stretched in the traditional sense. I like to refer to it as Xtreme flyfishing
Old 10-13-2004, 02:54 PM

A couple of guys out here have knocked off a YFT each, over 90lbs on fly. No snack but dooable. Max

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.