2 Hand advice-South Shore Rhody trip!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Recovering Albie-holic

2 Hand advice-South Shore Rhody trip!!!

Less than two weeks to go until I leave salmon hell and entering saltwater nirvana!!! The big uglies are in the rivers now and its time for a little distraction before the chrome shows up!

I just set up a spare spool on my "spey" reel with an 11wt intermediate and got in a little "yard casting" with my 14' 9/10wt Loomis GL3. Pretty much throws the entire line without too much effort but feels awkward with the overhead cast. A buddy of mine has offered the use of his 12'4" Sage 8124, which I understand is quite a fast 8wt and handles a regular 11wt pretty well? Which one would you guys use for surf/breachway action? And does anyone have a good explanation of how to hold the line with my "top" hand to allow it to release (shoot) while casting? Right wrist is pretty shot from years of one-handers (and computer operation) so I am hoping to get a grasp on using the two-hander. If I can't figure out the two-hand deal, I guess I will have to go back to my old one-handed 9wt & 10wt.

At any rate, will be in Watch Hill/Weekapaug/Quonny area from 10/4 thru 10/7 spending most days standing on Weekapaug waiting for the FA to show. The wife pretty much drops me off after breakfast and shops all day. May hit WW during the morning hours while she is still sleeping? If anyone will be in the area at that time, send me a PM and maybe we can hook up? It sure will be nice to get back east again. It gets pretty tiring catching steelhead all fall, winter, and spring with no stripers, albies, or blues to add a little variety . Tired of the kings already and I haven't even fished for them this year on the fly. Well, do they even hit a fly?

Thanks in advance for the replies and save a few for when I get out there!
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2004, 12:37 AM
CantAnchorUs

Dawn has been the time to be at the Wall. The place is jammin now. Look to be at Weekapaug any time the tide is rising and Nappatree anytime. The FA`s are thick now and the bass are picking up, blues are so plentiful they`re becoming a nusense{sp?} I`m on vac. the week after your here or I`d play guide. Hope to see you out there anyway.
Slinger
PS the 8 is a little undergunned, the 10 would be better.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Recovering Albie-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger
PS the 8 is a little undergunned, the 10 would be better.
Thanks for the encouraging report...I am referring to a 12'4" 8wt spey, not your traditional one-hander. Had questions on its ability to overhead cast versus my 14 footer....both will handle an albie/bass/blue with ease. Bear in mind that it takes an 11wt line just to load these rods Just looking for an alternative to my one-handed 9wt or 10 wt....basically wanted to try something new.

Thanks again for the report... I checked out the tides last night and they are to my liking for when I will be out there. Its not my first trip to Rhode Island and it won't be my last!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Recovering Albie-holic

Guess there are not as many guys out there waving the really long rods as I would have hoped? Tried the other rod today. The Sage 8124 was definitely the better "overhead" rod, as I believed it was designed as such. Tighter loops and less effort, for sure...11wt line seemed to be a pretty good match for this 12'4" 8wt spey

Still having trouble a bit of a tough time with line control as I tend to be letting the entire line go by accident while trying to allow a controlled "slip" of the line during my forward and back casts, prior to loading the rod up.

For those of you sitting there, scratching your heads, saying this guy is @#$%ed up, I am talking about casting with a "two-handed" rod, much like the Atlantis that Juro has talked about. Maybe another forum would be a better place for this question? Any suggestions?

At any rate, looking forward to visiting my old haunts out East...amazing how much things change out there and how much they stay the same...would somebody order me up a good dose of albie, with a side of striper, topped with just a couple big blues?
Old 09-23-2004, 01:20 AM
CantAnchorUs

Used up one of my last single vac days today and am I glad I did, CC Canal this morning and South County this afternoon, both are red hot. I`m surprised Juro hasn`t gotten back to you on this thread, these 2 handers are his piece of cake, he must be pretty buzy.
Slinger
Old 09-23-2004, 12:55 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I have only seen one person fishing the beaches and jetties with anything longer than a 12ft Spey two hander and that was Juro. I know he could cast a long ways But dealing with the fish off a jetty or in the surf with a very long rod was problematic. So I think you should try the 12ft rod unless your set on going longer.

As far the line slip control issue, not sure how your holding your line. I prefer to pinch the line with two fingers against the blank. I also run the line through my lower hand in case I totally lose it with the top hand I can save the cast usually with the lower hand.

Juro has a few posts you might benefit from, one in particular is two handed casting 1-2-3.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...6&pp=25&page=2

HTH,
Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Recovering Albie-holic

Thanks for the link...the middle finger thing on the upper rod hand seemed to be the way to go...was just wondering what everyone else was doing. The 14 footer is staying home, waiting to be called up for duty later this Fall when the steelhead make themselves known here on the Muskegon. I will be bringing the European action Sage 8124, which is all of 12'4" and a lot lighter than the big stick. I will also have my usual stock of one-handers from 7wt to 10wt. The 10', 7wt was a lot of fun last year on the ever present 4lb-8lb RI blues. It took a trip to Montauk last October to find albies but sounds like this Fall may be shaping up a little better? Thanks again for the helpful information.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:23 PM

I'll go with Greg on this question of line control. You gotta grip the line with both the upper and lower hands. When you are slipping line on the foward cast the line-gripping fingers on the upper hand will be open and pointing down. This is where the line is dropped. However, if the lower hand is also gripping line then the line is short between the hands and is less likely to drop.

Dick

Last edited by DickIvers; 09-23-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Recovering Albie-holic

Thanks again, guys...had a tough time "yard casting" while gripping the line with both hands but will try it again. The way I see it, I will be spending so much time on the jetties, blind-casting that my proficiency will become incredible by the end of 3 days If all else fails, I know I can always resort back to the one-handers and still boom some casts out there!

Greg...will have a long-handled net in tow regardless of what rod I am using. Even with Korkers, it still sucks trying to get down on the rocks to land fish. The net will make things a lot easier (and will mean a quicker release for the fish).

So, if you guys see some idiot with a 12' rod and a 9', long-handled net on WW or Weekapaug, feel free to introduce yourself as it will probably be me. Thanks again for the two-handed advice.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:48 PM
CantAnchorUs

Don`t be in to big a hurry to throw the whole line, many times the fish are within 10` of the rocks and will blast thru while your trying to recover all that line!
Slinger
Old 09-24-2004, 03:55 AM

There's a guy who routinely fishes the WW and Weekapaug with a two-hander; chances are pretty good you'll run into him during your visit (sorry, can't remember his name--nice guy though). I've watched him the past couple of years with his two-hander, and he does very well with the albies with it. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help you out, if you need it.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:41 AM
Recovering Albie-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger
many times the fish are within 10` of the rocks
Right on , especially at Weekapaug. I am in the midst of tying for the trip...are the peanuts heavy like last year? Or is it more of the bay anchovies?
Old 09-24-2004, 07:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Try gripping the line with the second and third fingers of the upper hand. Even with the slickest running lines, this provides enough control for me without getting the lower hand involved.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:32 PM
CantAnchorUs

Lots more anchovies than last year, but the peanuts are thick too. And gigantic silversides.
Slinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.