N.Umpqua--knowledgeable(?), but lousy fisherman... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2004, 08:48 PM

N.Umpqua--knowledgeable(?), but lousy fisherman...

is I.

Got back yesterday from fishing the N. Umpqua for 3 days. In August I landed 4 out of 4; this trip was the other way as I farmed 3 out of 4.

Two of the "lost" fish were completely my fault. For a change, I didn't yank the fly away from the fish when it took, but I still messed up. One fish was a looong cast away (for me and most; est. 90-100 feet of cross-hand single spey without much D-loop room), and I had to shoot line to reach the lie. I had so much slack when the fish took that even 14 feet of rod couldn't move enough line to hook the fish well. Furthermore, I had hooked a rock with that fly earlier in the day, and the hook point was not real sharp. I intended to sharpen it when I got back to my truck, but spaced it out. With this pathetic combination of lack of skill and preparation, it's a wonder I had the fish on for 5 seconds.

Another fish grabbed the waker straight downstream from me on a short line--the exact situation where one SHOULD have some slack line, but I had none, and again the fish came unbuttoned within seconds.

The third lost fish just came off after the battle was nearly over--I claim it wasn't my fault on that one!

Still, I enjoyed myself immensely. Four hookups including 3 on a dry, several more steelhead rises to the waker, some more unknown rises, innumerable steep banks and stiff currents negotiated without serious injury, all add up to a great time. The only negative was that I was supposed to fish 4 days, but I suffered from migraine 1 day so most of that day was lost, except...

Perhaps my migraine was fortunate because I ended up spending a couple hours sharing with and listening to Loren Grey, Zane's son. I know the stories about Zane weren't always favorable, but Loren was very nice, and it was great to hear some first-hand accounts of earlier days on the Umpqua.

I made another new friend my last night...Steve Nelson (WintersHope) from Wisconsin. A great and knowledgeable fisherman, he has an article about the Deschutes (and some gorgeous flies!) in the Art of Angling Journal Volume 2, Issue 1.

Now I'm home, resting my bones, tired from my own fishing and from climbing into and out of remote holes with Umpqua FishWatcher and friend Lee Spencer, but I will return in a week. Can't wait...my kids will be joining me the next trip!

--Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 09:47 AM

Umpqua Region

Good morning,
Bill, great report on your trip! I am looking forward to the next 6 weeks and at least a few trips south to those hallowed walls and holes! I'll wave if I see you!

Deerhawk
Old 09-19-2004, 05:31 PM

Bill ... I can relate ..

Put a post up a few weeks back about my Labor Day trip. Fished three mornings, hooked 7 and lost every one of the bloody things!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.