Wading sandals? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2004, 01:42 PM

Wading sandals?

So am I crazy or not?

I have problems with my feet and find wading shoes very uncomfortable. I own a pair of inexpensive Hodgeman but find them (even at size 14) too painful and tight. My compromise has been to try using my stockingfoot breathable Hodgmans with either water shoes or rubberized sandals (like Teva's).

Now for the innovation. A friend suggested I get a pair of replacement felt soles, cut them to the right size, and shoe goo or epoxy them to the bottom of the sandals. This should I suppose give me more traction in the stream. I do OK for now, move slowly, and use my Leki hiking staff (much better and less expensive than the Simms staffs with the ball head, this one has an L-shaped head that gives more support). Whaddaya think? Am I going to kill myself or is this going to help me as I search for steelhead?

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Junkyard Spey

Hey Nick...

You have more of a chance of killing yourself without the felt then with it. It is also a simple job to glue some felt on. I like Barge cement but any contact cement will work. Rough the rubber sole up a little with a corse grinding wheel, (caution, it comes off fast). You can also use indoor/outdoor carpet in place of felt.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Pullin' Thread

Nick,

Gorilla Glue is even better than barge cement, can be had in bigger bottles, is easier to apply than barge cement, and it can be found at Lowe's and Home Depot along with most other home improvement or hardware stores.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:40 PM
JD

Wading Ssndals

Choata makes some wading sandals and you can get them with felt soles, maybe even with stream cleates. I got mine with regular rubber soles so I could also wear them on the street.
You may have a problem trying to get them in a large enough size to fit over (size 14) waders though.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:45 PM

Thanks guys, looks like I have a project for the weekend! I will let you know if I make it back alive from the Feather River next Friday!

Nick
Old 09-26-2004, 11:00 PM

Back alive!

Boy what a difference! I did up my sandals with the felt bottoms and it was amazing! I felt very stable out there and while not overconfidant, I was stable and had a much more enjoyable time on the water. Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.