looking for a nice wf5f longbelly - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 04:46 PM

looking for a nice wf5f longbelly

hi,
i got myself a cortland 555 rocket longbelly wf5f, and i must say i dont like it one bit, its as stiff as a punkers' hair with an empty geljar...
if stretched its ok, but 30 secs on the reel and its all back
what your experience on this line?

as is im using my cortland classic sylk dt5f, but that aint too good with streamers

anyone know of a good wf5f longbelly that can throw a streamer and deliver a dry fly if needed? o yeah, it must be a supple one too

greetings
huib
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

SA distance taper is probably the limpest of the two or a windcutter from Rio. both are long bellied with the edge in punch going to the SA line as well. those are the two i am familiar with.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:41 PM

You might want to try an Airflo 6th Sense. Built on a delta taper, soft feel to it and very low memory
Old 02-18-2006, 12:10 AM

I happen to work for Cortland and I would suggest that you return that line to Cortland and explain your problem. Tell them you want to try the new 555 with Dyna Tip. It is a Braided core, not a hollow mono core like the earlier 555's. The earlier 555's cast great with fast rods because of their stiffness but the mono cores gave some customers memory problems. The new braided core lines are very supple, have little memory and have the highest floating tip section on the market ( A scientist opinion, not mine). We don't like dissatisfied customers and will be more then willing to take care of your problem. Your dealer may be able to do the same but I am not as familiar with our distribution network overseas.

Last edited by burk; 02-18-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Burk -

What a classy reply, thanks for stepping up!

BTW I've been very satisfied with my Cortland lines over the years.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Salmon Nut

Send a message via AIM to theclearblue
I'd definitely pursue the option of getting the line replaced by Cortland to see if that helps. That's a very generous offer if they do replace it.
I can't find the line you're referring to on the Cortland website, so I can't take a look at the head/belly length (this info isn't available on any of their lines that I can see - not very helpful on their part).

If you still can't find what you're looking for through Cortland, I'd take a look at the SA XXD (now the Expert Distance) Line or the Rio Steelhead/Atlantic Salmon Line. Both of these are very good long belly lines that can handle a wide variety of setups and fish them effectively.

Good Luck
Old 02-27-2006, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk
I happen to work for Cortland and I would suggest that you return that line to Cortland and explain your problem. Tell them you want to try the new 555 with Dyna Tip. It is a Braided core, not a hollow mono core like the earlier 555's. The earlier 555's cast great with fast rods because of their stiffness but the mono cores gave some customers memory problems. The new braided core lines are very supple, have little memory and have the highest floating tip section on the market ( A scientist opinion, not mine). We don't like dissatisfied customers and will be more then willing to take care of your problem. Your dealer may be able to do the same but I am not as familiar with our distribution network overseas.
hi,
thank you for your offer, i'd be happy to take you up on that, i always liked my cortland lines, esspecially the sylk ones. the -now- old 555 was just a onetime miss i hope.
how should we go about this? should i send you the old line? please contact me so we can arrange something

yours sincerely
huibgeselschap
Old 02-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Since I work for Cortland in the states, I am not familier with our distribution there. I would start with the dealer where you purchased, most of mine will replace fly lines and exchange if a customer isn't satisfied. As far as i can tell this is your ditributor, if your dealer can't help you an email to these guys should solve the problem.

Leonard Sports
Industrieweg 25D
7903 AH Hoogeveen Holland
Phone +31 528-220408
Email : info@leonardsports.nl
Site: www.leonardsports.nl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.