fly reel suggestions - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 08:58 PM
I'd rather be fishing

fly reel suggestions

I recently aquired a 9 foot 9 weight fly rod as a gift. Now I need to find a reel to match this. After long searches on the internet and numerous trips to local fly shops, I am not quite sure what type of reel I should purchase. Obviously cost is an issue but I am also aware that you get what you pay for. Primarily, I would use this rod to fish for salmon and steelhead but I can also envision myself using this for saltwater game fish in the future. I am looking for a reel that will meet my needs for a reasonable price (and will not need to be upgraded in a few years). Any suggestions as to where I should look?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Junkyard Spey

Reel

Tioga 10. If you want a little more try the Teton 9/11.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:42 PM

If you want it to be the last reel you ever buy, one that can stand up to some serious dings and drops, I'd go with a Tibor. For a 9-weight single-hander that will double as a saltwater reel, a Riptide probably. Overbuilt, beautiful, simple, and easily maintained.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:50 AM

Teton Tioga LA #8 or #9 hands down best performance,sealed-drag,durability. Made in USA and a lifetime warranty to boot, ALL this for under 130.00!!! Even cheaper on Ebay, got mine for 94.00 new!
Only draw back for me is the weight, but lighter than most in its class.

Now best reels under 350.00 in my opinion are Lamson's Litespeed & ULA reels, and the Ross Big Game reels, nothing touches these reels in this price range, even give or take 100.00.
Good luck!

Peter ><>

Last edited by Skycries57; 09-14-2004 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:34 AM

Redington Brakewater 9/10 will provide just what you are lookig for at a price of about $200-225 on eBay (new). I use the 11/12 on a two-handed rod for salmon. It performed flawlessly this summer. In addition, the people in customer service are extraordinarily pleasant. (I was seeking an extra part, nothing was wrong with the reel.) My $0.02
Old 09-14-2004, 10:39 AM

P.S.

If you are willing to spend about twice that amount, take a serious look at the CVEX 9/10. The reel is designed so that you can use the 11/12 spool on the same frame. Consequently, if you need a larger capacity in the future, all you need do is buy the 11/12 spool. Again, great customer service.

An aside on customer service. The fact os that I have yet to have a bad experience with any of the customer service people I have dealt with in the fishing industry.

Another $0.02.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Spey'd and lovin it!!!

RE:Reels

Have you considered a Hardy St. John? If you don't need the "stop a train" drag system, then this is the one i would suugest. They go quite regularly on ebay for around $125.00. Less than that alot of the time. Also would suggest a Marquis #10.
There is a pretty famous salmon guy from Halifax N.S that landed his 2000th salmon last fall, and i am pretty sure that most of them were on a J.W. Young Beaudex. You can find a new with box(vintage 50's) for under $50 and they are great workhorse reels. I use a 4" Pridex wide-drum on my two-hander and i love it.
What do you like??? There is a reel out there for every ego, taste, etc, and they are all at least good, so i would think you should go with one that fits you!
Good luck.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>
Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons
Old 09-14-2004, 07:09 PM
I'd rather be fishing

Thanks for everybody's input. I think my final three choices are:
Tioga 10, Lamson Velocity 3.5, or the Ross Canyon Big Game 5.
Now I just need to decide.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:51 AM

Good choices, if it were me I'd have it down to Lamson's Litespeed 3.5 or Ross Canyon's BG 5. Now thats a hard choice to choose there.
Either way you would have a seriously GREAT reel in hand.

PS, I chose the Litespeeds: less money, enclosed(sealed)drag, lightest LA in its class, type3 anodizing, titanium guts, and equal in performance to the BG 5.

Good luck!

><>
Old 09-22-2004, 05:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to IronMike Send a message via Yahoo to IronMike
Used a Sage reel while out with Capt. Ray couple of weeks ago, really nice unit! Has a conical shaft with tight seal and looks really sand proof (big concern for me since mostly shore bound). Detented drag system that you can calibrate to your choosing. Very nice. http://www.sageflyfish.com/sage_prod...ag.shtml#3500D

Last edited by IronMike; 09-22-2004 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:14 AM
any fish, any time

I had a Velocity 4, held onto it for 4 months, and sold it - now own 4 Ross BG reels. The Lamson never even made it to the water. The highest drag setting seemed weak, the pop-off spool was a major liability, and in general the reel felt flimsy. Saltwater reels are meant to be rugged, and the Lamson seemed like a toy to me (before anyone's shorts get twisted, this is ONLY my opinion). I'm very satisfied with my Ross BG reels for SW use.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Recovering Albie-holic

You can't go wrong with the Ross!!! I still use the Gunnison G-5 I bought over 10 years ago. It has caught numerous fresh and saltwater species and has never failed. The BG-5 is probably an even better reel than my G-5.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.