A magazine solely for Pacific Salmon Fly Fishers? - Fly Fishing Forum
Ocean Flyfishing for Salmon Perhaps the most under-rated fishery in the world

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2004, 02:53 PM

A magazine solely for Pacific Salmon Fly Fishers?

I've been reading many of the threads posted here on FlyTalkForum about both freshwater and saltwater fly fishing for Pacific salmon. There is a ton of info lots of people have contributed to the forum. Which leads me to this: would the people here be interested in devising or producing a magazine solely for fly fishing for Pacific salmon? I have thought about this for about a couple of weeks now. Given, it would not have to be printed 'in paper' exactly. It could be done all on the web or made into a pdf document and mailed out to everyone on an e-mail list. (See http://www.westernflyfisher.com/archive.htm for what could be done). I just would like to see something that came out periodically (not necessarily monthly, even quarterly). Articles in the regular fly fishing press in magazines are few and far between and there are only a handful of books on the topic (those are over five years old). Even with Les Johnson's update of 'Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon,' more could be contributed to this topic. Below are some ideas of contents a magazine could have. I'm open to any ideas about this. (I may end up eating my own words and producing a magazine myself). Thanks for reading this. I can be contacted at (derbyshc@hotmail.com).

editor's letter
readers' letters
conservation & ethics
history
fish science
places/destinations
fishing specific habitat/locations
a. ocean/lake
b. river mouths, estuaries, tide water
c. freshwater
trip planning
boating
gear and tackle
casting
garage/basement tinker
fly tying
photos
stories & essays
book reviews, excerpts, and the like
news & other info
fishing reports

& Feature articles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2004, 07:03 PM
JD

Thumbs up magazine

I for one would love to see something like this. I used to subscribe to Wild Steehead & Salmon before it became Fish & Fly. I have dropped my subscriptions to all but Fly Fishing the Northwest as I am not interested in fly fishing exotic places.

Hey, why don't they have a magazine called that? "We gladly accept ad money from exotic lodges in foriegn counties."

You build it, they will come. And I will be first in line.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:14 PM

Reply to my message

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to come up with something of a general format by the end of the year. I think I'm leaning to doing an online production, where it can be downloaded off a website or I could e-mail it those interested. If you have any ideas on what you would like to see in it, please let me know.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:17 PM

Howdy Derby,

check your email.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:37 AM

Thumbs up interesting

i for one am interested,my river is rife with chinook all the summer months,just no reel consistent success can be attributed to any patterns/anglers,Scott Richmond wrote a book about the river,although not a lot of time was spent in my section-middle=80 miles from salt,,,,,if only i could make the tactics in the book work! ,i'm getting ready to hang a `qwickfish' on my two-hander ,so,,carry on lad!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:54 PM

You should do as one of the higher end surf magazines do now and have no destination or places articles. Helps keep the locals happy and makes people earn their fishing rights. Reports would be useless as fish are on the move always. Stories both fiction and non-fiction are a plus as long as there are no names of places in them. Boat safety is a good idea. Caught fish photos are a bad idea, out of vouge now but people, landscape, beach bait etc are great ideas. Fishing specific habitat and locations bad idea, too much stress being put on those areas already. Fish science sounds nice.

Better yet make it a nice artisan magazine about those who go to salt to learn for themselves the moon, the tides and rips around the NW. No how to garbage just the enjoyment of reading about those who put the effort into fishing the Salmon, cutts, bottom fish and steelhead in the salt with a fly.

good luck.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:24 PM

Thumbs up Firming up the details

OC,

Thanks for the feedback. Right now I'm just trying to shore up my thoughts on what should be in such a magazine and its editorial content. Once I have the overall philosophy of the magazine clarified and well thought out, the rest should simply fall into place. This should all be explained in the opening editorial.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:07 PM

I would love to contribute. I would hope it's not more of the expected and ordinary. Good luck!

Leland.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:15 PM

Thumbs up Contributions welcome!!

Thanks for the support. Any contributions or suggestions that you would be willing to provide are welcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.