Kauai Flyfishing ???? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 01:40 PM

Kauai Flyfishing ????

Hi All.
I'm off to Kauai for 2 weeks at Poipu on the 16th of September. My trusty 9wt and a new 12wt are going with. Aside from the "flats" over by the Airport and the breakwater at Hanapepe does anyone know of other good places to walk, wade, and cast a flyline. I'd also like to know if anyone has any info on the bonefish, especially fly pattern info. Thanks

Paul Franko
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 05:17 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
I'll be going to Kauai in may. Please let me know what you found out, where and how you fished and how you did when you get back. I'm looking forward to flyfishing the flats and the surf there!
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Flats Rat

If you search back through the posts on the bonefish board I put a report there last year around April. Most of my shore based fishing has been on the reef areas on the North side. Anini beach has some very interesting structure. I didn't see any bonefish, but they are there. The beaches at early morning before the crowds show up could be worth checking out.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:10 PM

I'll let you know what I find and see if I can't figure out patterns, colors and sizes as I go along. I have SCI Angle multi-tips for both rods ( RPLxi's) and a Riptide for the 9wt. and Huge Canyon for the 12wt. The fish I'd really like to get would be a Trevally but I have enough poppers to last the 2 weeks and enough flies to carpet the island.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:11 AM

Kauai Fly

Good moning,
I do remember some inside reef action between Anahola and Kilauea on the road north to Princeville. Some hike-in, some drive. Look for the Papaya fields on the right side of the road. Sometimes you can gain access from these spots. Also the North shore can be productive on flat days (little or no swell) Check tides. There can be some radical Baracuda action at the end of the road at Na Pali. But I would not go without a 5 wt., "cause if everything stay blow out, you can still go for game fish action in 'da many freshwater ponds and streams, Bra! And they have Trout in Waimea!
Enjoy and AAAALLLOOOOOOHHHAAAAA!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:28 PM

kauai bones

Aloha,sorry I didnt see this earlyer.Im a guide here on kauai and see many bonefish here at anini beach.Im still finding out new flats and still figureing out the hawaiian bones.The average bonefish on kauai useally weigh 6-10 pounds,but on some of my trips I've seen fish that were close to 4 feet.I spotted a giant fish that was talling near shore and my client had many shots and on the last cast the fish follwed the fly,but came too close to us and the fish took off.If you guys come to kauai and see me fly fishing I can put you on some fish If you book a trip and If the is waethers good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.