lookin for carp in all the wrong places - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2004, 08:46 PM

lookin for carp in all the wrong places

Hi

New to post, new to flyfishing, suck at it, but hey I'll get betta. Live on cape ann, and frequently travel North (N.H. M.E.) to slap the water and see how many fish eyes I can poke out. I am looking for Carp waters in my fishing area other than the merrimack, maybe some small holes? Anyone?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2004, 10:27 PM
spey addict

Send a message via AIM to Moose
I don't know of any eye pokin carp holes but I was wondering about your username. Exactly what kind of hat is that???
Life is but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury!! Signifying nothing. May as well go fishing!
Old 09-08-2004, 01:04 PM

Carp Holes

Good Morning,
Do not know if you get to central Mass. area at all, but there used to be some good Carp Holes in and around the Worcester area; ( shallows of Indian Lake and Little Indian, backside Quinsig., etc. ) always productive in late summer!

and I remain.... with my bread balls, and spear!
Deerhawk
Old 09-08-2004, 05:41 PM
_

Welcome to the board!

I don't know of any specific carpin' spots in your area, but I'm sure there are plenty. Check the MA DFW web site. They have pdf maps of all the public ponds and lakes in MA, with depth contours, access points, types of fish and other info for each body of water. Here's a link:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_pond.htm

I'd look for places with plenty of water less than 5' deep (but near deep water) and shorelines with gradual drop-offs. Bodies of water that are connected to the Merrimack or other river systems should have carp in them even if the DFW info doesn't mention carp. As long as there is a way for the fish to get from the river to the pond/lake it will probably hold carp. If there are shallow backwater areas on the Merrimack they would probably be good as well.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you do!

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.