9/5-9-7 on the Cape - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2004, 04:05 PM

9/5-9-7 on the Cape

Atlast I am off to the Cape. I am planning on hitting SB & Monomoy in the next couple of days. If anyone is going to be down in the area I would love to fish with you. I can't recall if I have internet down at the house we rent but I think we do. If the conditions permit I might fish the lighthouse at first light.

Drop me a line if you're up for some fishing!

Aaron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Aaron -

Fish are definitely on the frisky side lately. Pea bunker and silversides up to 4-5" long are on the flats, not to mention huge sand eels on the outer beach.

Since the arrival of bunker is coming from the Nantucket Sound side, I'd recommend spending some time on that side of things when conditions permit for some eye-popping action. The ones that have been on the bunker trail are sporting black backs and can be seen for 50 yards.

South beach is still perky on the flats but until the swells lay down it's not going to be too much fun to fish the beach.

The migratory dead end known as the tub has a lot of bait, and you know what that means.

Whenever you are lucky enough to get shoals of bunker show up you'll be in fat city. They've been in and out over the last two weeks.

Good time to be fishing the area, and getting better.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:32 PM

I am going to take the Rip Ryder over to Monomoy I think at probably9 or 10 to catch the flood. What time does Keith start shuttles in the AM?
Old 09-04-2004, 11:12 PM

8am sharp, best to be on the causeway at 7:30a to have time to gear up for the ride to the hinterlands.

Wishn' I were fishin,
Juro
Old 09-05-2004, 06:37 AM

Doh!!!!!!!

I am a late ...(or should I say early) scratch for today at least this morning. got to the lighthouse at 5 AM to find out that I had left my Fly Box back in Maine. I am so angry... I am tying like the wind right now to try and get a good assortment for tomorrow.. Not the way I wanted to start the day. Although the wind is pretty stiff the skies are clear and I am bummed I am not on the Causeway right now. Tomorrow is a new day.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:03 AM

Tie three flies and get on the 10am shuttle dude! They run almost every hour, just call ahead http://www.monomoyislandferry.com (sponsor).

They are grabby, you don't need a box full. Sand colored deep eel which doubles as a silverside pattern is all you really need, throw a small bunker pattern in there for fish pushing bait around.

I would go out there with two flies myself right now, having been working the flats over the last few days.

Tie at night!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:39 PM

You forgot your box? I'll run up to your house and grab it for you, it'll give me an excuse to get down the Cape.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:57 PM

Day wasn't a total loss. I fished the nauset inlet this morning and missed the fish of a lifetime. Late sight.... crossing presentation..... 40+ inch fish.. Deep Eel. He saw the fly and turned right for it .... I should have stripped once more He was so close to eating it...

Anyway, my boxes are full after a morning of 5 cups of coffee so I am prepared for the flats tomorrow.

Any reports... Monomoy or South Beach???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.